Mediawiki Advice

I want my Wiki to the the first think people see when they go to my domain. Should I just install Mediawiki into the main directory, or into /w or /wiki and redirect people there using .htaccess?

Thanks!

Do you have plans to put other content on the domain later, or is the wiki going to be the only thing there?

If you don’t have plans for other content, then it may be simpler to just install it in the main web directory.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I may want to tie in some forum software later. Oher than that I think most other content I could do would be done through the wiki (locked pages or something).
I may just do the main directory…

Then my suggestion would be to use your main domain directory for MediaWiki, and then use a subdomain for other “features” (forums.mydomain.tld, blog.mydomain.tld, etc.). It doesn’t cost anything extra at Dreamhost, keeps things really well organized, and avoids potential .htaccess directives and potential complication of Apache re-write rules. Just my opinion, however, and YMMV. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Another option is to change the web directory for the domain to /yourdomain.tld/wiki/ using the panel.

This would allow you to have the wiki show up by default without a .htaccess redirect and still allow you to change things later, if required.

Edit: I haven’t actually tried the above, but it should work.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)