Mediawiki 1.8.2 fails to generate LocalSettings.php

apps

I’m trying to install mediawiki, either from the svn repository or the one-click install script.
The web-based config/index.php fails to generate LocalSettings.php in the config directory.
No error is reported, the installation page reports that it is “Generating configuration file…” , then it goes on creating and configuring the DB correctly.
I checked permissions, searched past forum posts, dreamhost wiki, mediawiki.org. Nope.
Tried 1.8.0 from svn as well, idem.
Any hint?

The one-click recently worked for me, although it had a minor glitch otherwise (ownerships). The instructions tell you to move the LocalSettings.php to the parent directory; maybe they’re automating that step? Did you look up a level? Otherwise, I’d try the one-click fresh, or ask Support to look at it.

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

No LocalSettings.php in the parent dir, and I tried a 1click fresh install. Need Support to look into it.

It’s probably obvious, but just in case - you do know to submit a Support request through the panel, not just here.

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Thank you for clarifying. I’ll post the follow-up here.

I just had the same problem. MySql didn’t like the UTF-8 experimental setting for character encoding. It was hard to spot because it appeared near the end of a long sequence of sql statements AFTER a message stating that LocalSettings.php file was being generated. I don’t know if you were fooled the same way I was by an unhelpful installation report, but it might be worth going back and examining closely the sql at the end of the report.

For me it was a simple change in the install: choose backward-compatible UTF-8.

good luck

You are right moocow, thank you. I was misled by the fact that db tables were generated after all.

Using backward-compatible UTF-8 the installation went smooth.

I found that this is related to bug 6085
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6085