Measure load time?

What is an easy way to measure the load time for a page? Is there a free utility I can use? Thanks.

Desktop clock with second display is free and easy. Watches with second indicators are easy and cheap. There’s a Firefox addon, but it has some negative comments.

They hired more support help.
Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

You could “wget” the page. There are also plenty of online sites such as that can do what you are asking about and a whole lot more.

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

First, make sure the page you are trying to measure load time for has a .php extension, then, insert the following code towards the top of your page:

<? $mtime = microtime(); $mtime = explode(" ",$mtime); $mtime = $mtime[1] + $mtime[0]; $starttime = $mtime; ?>next, scroll down at the bottom of the page, right before the </body> tag, and insert the following code:

$mtime = microtime();
$mtime = explode(" ",$mtime);
$mtime = $mtime[1] + $mtime[0];
$endtime = $mtime;
$totaltime = ($endtime - $starttime);

Execution time: <?=$totaltime?> seconds

[/code]This will display the precise execution time for the page, as measured from the server. Please note that this method is useful for measuring how long a server takes to produce the page, which can be substantial if complex scripting is involved. In addition to that, your computer also requires a certain time to download all the information on the page to your computer. This time can be measured with browser extensions like the one mentioned above.

Or if your site is like mine you can just use a calendar.

great tip
I tried it on my site here on DH… really low.
I’ll have to test it on a full blown and slow page too

BUGabundo :o)
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans

The fasterfox addon for firefox provides a nice little page load timer on the bottom right corner of the browser. Working well for me so far.

If you’re using the FasterFox extension, make sure to disable the extension’s page caching features. That way, you’ll get a realistic measure of how fast your page is sent from the server and rendered in your browser and NOT the speed that your page is rendered from your browser’s cache.

Since we’re on the subject of site speed, does anybody have any solutions to my speed woes as mentioned in the thread I have referenced below?

That’s be posting the question twice. Keep an eye on your original thread for a response.