Maximum upload size 7MB?

Is there anyway to change to this? I am running a forum with a download manager, and the maximum filesize is 7MB. Is there anyway to change this besides creating a php.ini, because I really didn’t understand how to execute the scripts to fetch the php.ini file.

As far as I am aware, there are only two ways to alter the max filesize. One is to copy the PHP executable and php.ini file across to your home directory and the other is to do a custom compile of PHP. Of these two solutions, the first is by far the easiest.

The wiki article on copying the PHP files and configuring your .htaccess file to use the local install is really quite straight forward and if you follow the directions carefully you should be OK.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Ok I did everything in the wiki article and now Im getting a 500 internal server error when i try to access my website now.

Did you receive any errors while following the instructions?

The 500 error suggests that your .htaccess file is incorrect. The following two lines need to be added to the .htaccess file in the root directory for your domain.

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php.cgi

Be careful that you enter these lines exactly as shown. note especially the position of any spaces in those lines.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Ok I did it again but it seems I have 2 copies of the php.cgi and the php.ini in my cgi-bin directory. So when i ]upload the .htacess file I get an error.

I don’t see how this could be. Following the instructions twice would have simply resulted in the first copies of php.cgi and php.ini being over-written.

Mark

I know this is an old post but I used it with success on one of my domains. However now I’d like to implement it across several domains (all under the same user, different folders). I was wondering If I could just run all the lines of the file again at the bottom of the file in the correct directory but I also know little about unix and webserver commands and am not entirely sure this would work.

You could copy the cgi-bin directory from the working domain into any other domain and make the relevant changes to the .htaccess file.

Alternatively, you can simply run the PHP.INI installer in each domain.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Hey guys, this thread is like 4 years old, but I just royally screwed up my domain in a similar way. the Wiki is not that straightforward to a noob. So now (to be honest) I am just looking for someone who can help me do this. (for pay)

I don’t know how to do it, but I would just like to pay someone to…

A) show me how to SEE where the PHP.ini actually is. I login via my FTP and I can never even see it.

B) Create a working version of it that will allow me to upload files bigger than 7MB

C) Show me what (if anything) needs to altered with that NOW working version of it to use it at will on any domain I have on my dreamhost VPS (a procedure sheet, essentially).

D) do it all in a neat, easy to follow format. Screenshots. Exact directions. No ‘just look at the wiki’ bs.

If anyone is up to that task and wants a couple of bucks, please PM me.

Thanks.

Cheers.