Max Filesize?

A friend of mine was afraid to sign up to dreamhost thinking they may have a max filesize upload/download limit. Do we have a max filesize limit?

Only that imposed by the filesystem, though in a practical sense your friend my be concerned about the max_upload_filesize supported by PHP. If so, the Dreamhost default setting is 7MB.

–rlparker

The only filesize limit I am aware of is the 2GByte limit imposed by the Apache web-server and/or most web-browsers.

What size file was your friend thinking of uploading? :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh yeah, and the ~7MB upload limit imposed by the default PHP install, as mentioned by rlparker above (damn, another near simultaneous event :wink: ).

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

That is a much better, and more accurate answer than mine was…thanks!

–rlparker

Not really, I totally forgot about the limit imposed by the default PHP install, which, now that I think about it, is probably what the original poster’s friend was concerned about.

bladesling,

if this ~7MB PHP upload limit is indeed a problem for your friend, there are ways of overcoming it, but the procedures do required some shell knowledge.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

lol 2gb is fine. I think maybe like a 100mb file or something like that. Some 3D animation videos and such he is doing.
Or just whatever it is he is working on.
The question was also for me but I figured they wouldn’t be too limited so I didn’t care so much to ask. I pretty much can’t think of anything I have to upload thats >50mb lol besides some amazing psd’s

Thank you for the super fast replies…

Your friend should have no problems uploading such files with an FTP client and (of-course) browsers should be able to download them fine too.

Just to expand on the PHP issue; Any upload that uses a PHP script will be limited to around 7MB by default, this includes the web-based FTP client script offered by DreamHost. So if you have large files to upload, you are best advised to use a ‘real’ FTP client.

Mark

Instructions for raising your PHP upload limit are here:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/PHP.ini

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all yearly plans using promo code [color=#CC0000]PHEWSEPHIFTY[/color] when you sign up!

… but should only be attempted if you are completely confident and happy working with the UNIX commands and the Shell. You have the capacity to do serious harm if you aren’t experienced enough.

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)

Did I mis-understand?

The upload limit ~7MB is only for webftp. If you are loading files in webftp, the upload limit is around 7MB.

But if you upload using other ftp software, it is definately more than 7MB. I’ve uploaded a 30MB files through IE successfully.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

I don’t know, did you? :wink:

[quote]The upload limit ~7MB is only for webftp…
But if you upload using other ftp software, it is definately more than 7MB…[/quote]
Yep, that’s what I said (although you said it in less words :wink: ).

[color=#0000CC]“Just to expand on the PHP issue; Any upload that uses a PHP script will be limited to around 7MB by default, this includes the web-based FTP client script offered by DreamHost. So if you have large files to upload, you are best advised to use a ‘real’ FTP client.”[/color]

Mark

ha :slight_smile:

thanks mark. thanks for the quick reply.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Well, B :cool: B. If you need to ask, you probably aren’t experienced enough to be messing with a bespoke php.ini configuration either.

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)