Mass Mailing Issues

Hi,

I have a mailing list of approximately 2,200 recipients that I am trying to mail to but failing.

I am currently using a Joomla website with the Acajoom newsletter plug-in.

Before sending my email to my actual list I made a test list to be sent to a catch-all email on another domain I administer. The mailing were sent out from my email address: boaz.rottenberg@maverickchina.com to emails at cmrforum.com

Acajoom reported that all mailings were sent successfully. It sent the mails out at batches of 50 mails each with a 10 second pause in between each batch. They were sent using the default Acajoom PHP mailer and not the SMTP mailer.

I received the first 194 emails successfully.

Then another 182 were returned saying:

cmr1176@cmrforum.com: host 208.113.175.8[208.113.175.8] said: 554
cmr1176@cmrforum.com: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection:
–SENDER_QUOTA_REJECTION-- (in reply to RCPT TO command)

The rest of the emails are missing.

I seem to be activating some sort of sender quota. What is the best way to overcome this quota and send out my mailing to my entire list?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should probably start by carefully reading the DreamHost Terms of Service, the DreamHost Anti-Spam Policy, and the DreamHost Abuse Center Spam and UBE Material. I am not saying this because I think you are spamming; I just think you should be aware of the conditions these policies place on mass mailing, and their implications for your account, before you send to any mailing list that you did not create using the DreamHost confirmed opt-in mechanisms. :wink:

[quote]Acajoom reported that all mailings were sent successfully. It sent the mails out at batches of 50 mails each with a 10 second pause in between each batch. They were sent using the default Acajoom PHP mailer and not the SMTP mailer…I received the first 194 emails successfully…Then another 182 were returned saying … Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection:
–SENDER_QUOTA_REJECTION-- (in reply to RCPT TO command)
[/quote]
Non SMTP mail is limited to 200 per hour

Yep… there is further information in the DreamHost wiki, and in numerous posts on these forums.

Arguably, the best method would be to utilize the DreamHost provided Announcement List facility (see your Control Panel -> Mail -> Announcement lists screens), as it, if properly managed, covers you for the confirmed opt-in requirements for your list, handles the queuing “automagically”, and exempts you from the sending mail quota restrictions for mailing a list.

That is not to say that you cannot use other software, but you will need to handle, and document, the confirmed opt-in requirements as detailed in the policies mentioned above, maintain those records in good order, and manage the queuing yourself so that you do not exceed the 200 emails per hour quota.

You can petition DreamHost to increase your quota, and they have indicated a willingness to do that in certain cases. While they have not publicly stated any “upper limit”, anecdotal information from other users indicates they may allow as many as 400-500 emails per hour in certain circumstances.

–rlparker

Thank you very much for this very thorough answer!!