Managing A *Lot* Of Email Addys?

I’ve got 31 domains and am setting each up with a full postmaster account (and also a forward only abuse addy) to comply with RFC. What I’m wondering is how I am going to wind up managing that many addys.

Before I discovered the RFC rules I was generally keeping just one full email account and having a lot of forwards to it, with the main being checked via Thunderbird.

What I’m not wanting to do is have Tbird checking 31 POP accounts, and I’m also wanting to avoid having to sign into each one’s web mail every so often to check em…

Just curious what kind of solutions some outside minds would come up with, DH brothas and sistas!

[quote]What I’m not wanting to do is have Tbird checking 31 POP accounts, and I’m also wanting to avoid having to sign into each one’s web mail every so often to check em…

Just curious what kind of solutions some outside minds would come up with, DH brothas and sistas![/quote]
Write an IMAP client to move messages from the inbox folder of each mailbox to a unique folder on a single mailbox?

Why exactly are you using separate mailboxes instead of forwarding address?

:cool: openvein.org -//-

Ah… I see we have another one of those who thinks everyone either is or should be a developer!

Because that would result in a failure of the RFC Ignorant test and result in my domains being blacklisted by mail servers who expect RFC compliance…

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Postmaster

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/

which I am non desirous of. I am doing my best to respect UNIX and internet protocol.

Set them up as full mail, adding a common “Also forwards to”.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

I am actually very much hoping that’s possible without causing the conditions for RFC test failure. I do understand that the postmaster addy has to be a full box, but am not clear on whether or not it can also be a forward. I don’t understand the innards of it, but when someone tests your addy it has to send back all the right “signals” for a pass.

Best guess though, is that will wind up being fine, and if so, it will definitely be my solution! I’m awaiting some email responses from “those in the know” on this specific issue before proceeding though.

Yeah, the sender has no way of telling it has an additional forward.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Very much appreciated brotha! I didn’t think it would make any difference, but just wanted to be totally sure!

I have next to no understanding of the backend of this stuff, and am learning little bits as I go!

You don’t need a fully hosted mailbox for each postmaster@domain address. The RFC says it must be routed to a mailbox where someone will read it, and the local-part case-insensitive.

I guess I should add this to the Wiki, since only a developer would be able to figure it out otherwise :wink:

When a mail client goes to send a message, it tells the mail server an address of the sender. For bounces and other system messages this is usually NULL. If it is accepted, the response is “Ok”

Next, it tells the mail server a list of recipient addresses. They mail server gets a chance to reject them as they are entered. If an address is good, the response is “Ok”

Finally the client can transmit message data.

Guess what? It doesn’t matter what type of address you enter as a recipient. The DreamHost server will respond “Ok” for a hosted mailbox address or a forward-only address. Or a garbage address too.

These two “signals” are all the tests are about. It can even be done by hand using a telnet client:

server> 235 Authentication successful client> RSET server> 250 Ok client> MAIL FROM: <> server> 250 Ok client> RCPT TO: <postmaster@domain> server> 250 Ok client> DATA server> 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF> client> Subject: Test client> To: <postmaster@domain> client> From: John Doe <john.doe@domain> client> client> Test client> . server> 250 Ok: queued as 34FC016D3D4 client> QUIT server> 221 Bye

And you are indeed looking very much correct, technically speaking, but I also found reference that you should also be able to reply to any test emails from the postmaster account.

I very much appreciate the information! I’m just feeling a pull in my gut to fully comply that I can’t rationally explain! I’m weird like that I spose…

I do know that it makes me feel some sort of peripheral connection to UNIX history and culture, and even though I don’t even have a *nix machine of any sort any more (years since I played around with Libranet a lot), and don’t really have the spare time to sink into it, I do like to feel it and pay homage and respect… and DH is the only host I’ve ever used that brings these kind of things to my attention!

Again, very much appreciated!

Also, I checked out your web site… I really dig it! It seems that you are an appreciator of simplicity, order, easy of use and standards, and have gone some cool places as well.

Are you going to put your section back up?

Maybe. I do this mostly as a hobby, and currently trying to learn different things on my own, such as bash scripting and more PHP. I want my subdomain to be based on the Zend Framework and I’m still wrapping my head around it.

For the benefit of any future finders of this thread who are interested in complying with RFC rules, I’ve discovered that it’s only necessary to concern one’s self with domains that have active mx records (a domain that has any sort of email set up for it)… so “parked”, “empty” or otherwise plain ol web only no email accts or forwards domains are fine.

With available time it’s taking a while to read through the often unnecessarily long winded docs on this stuff, but I was relieved to discover that, because I was thinking that for just any registered domain someone could submit the RFC Ignorant test and get you listed!