Installation of Mambo CMS on dreamhost takes about 3 minutes, plus the time it takes for your database to be set up, and is very easy to do from the command line via SSH. Of course, you could install the package by extracting the contents of the tarball on your home computer, ftp'ing the files to your server space, setting permissions, etc, but it is a breeze from the command line. I recommend running PHP as CGI for the domain onm which you want to install Mambo. Essentially:
1) from the "Goodies" section of the webpanel (http://panel.dreamhost.com), create a MySQL database for Mambo to use. Wait till the database is "live" (I've had waits of between 5 minutes and about an hour).
2) Open an SSH connection to your server and navigate to your desired web space (ex. /home/user/public_html)
3) wget the required package(s) from mamboforge.net, presently:
4) untar/unzip the packages:
tar -xzvf MamboV4.5.2-Stable.tar.gz
5) navigate with a browser to the space, and follow the prompts.
6) clean up, if you wish by removing the original tarballs, be sure to remove (or obfuscate by renaming!0 the "installation" directory, and ENJOY!.
You should try it; it really is easy to do.