Making a WordPress Blog part of my site

Hi dreamhost!

So, I’ve been er, “hosting” the blog component of my site (www.biklopsdesign.com) at virb.com. So, when someone clicks on “blog” it actually takes them to my virb profile. I want to change this and host the blog on Dreamhost–and I want it to be a WordPress blog.

So, my questions: when I “one-click” install WordPress, will it erase my site? Can I make the WordPress blog just one part of my site and have the rest of the site still be good old fashioned css/xhtml?

and secondly; with the one-click-install install the latest version of WordPress?

[quote]So, I’ve been er, “hosting” the blog component of my site (www.biklopsdesign.com) at virb.com. So, when someone clicks on “blog” it actually takes them to my virb profile. I want to change this and host the blog on Dreamhost–and I want it to be a WordPress blog.

So, my questions: when I “one-click” install WordPress, will it erase my site? Can I make the WordPress blog just one part of my site and have the rest of the site still be good old fashioned css/xhtml?[/quote]
You should install WordPress either to a subdirectory under www.biklopsdesign.com or to a subdomain like blog.biklopsdesign.com. Let us know which appeals to you more and I’m sure someone will provide agonizingly detailed instructions for doing this. I’m not an SEO expert so I don’t know which of these two options is preferable. One thing I consider is that since .htaccess is transitive to subdirectories, I kinda like the subdomain option to completely isolate the blog from the hand-coded part of a site.

Yes, modulo the occasional few days lag, the one-click install of WordPress is has been current!

Have fun!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

The subdomain idea sounds great!

I await the agonizing instructions…

thanks!

Hmm. Since no one has taken the bait, we’ll go with the short and sweet alternative:

1. On the Domains>Manage Domains page of the panel, choose the option to “Add New Domain / Sub-Domain”.
  2. You’ll be taken to the “Add New Domain / Sub-Domain” page. You’re going to create a new fully hosted subdomain. In the “Domain to Host:” field, type in blog.biklopsdesign.com.
  3. Leave almost everything else at their default settings except for the “How do you like the www in your URL?” setting. I like to choose “Remove www.”, particularly for subdomains.
  4. Submit your entries by clicking on “Fully Host This Domain Now!”

You don’t have to wait for DNS to propagate, but that’s the easiest thing to do at this point. It should only be a few hours before you can go to blog.biklopsdesign.com and see that nothing is there.

1. At that point, you can go to “Goodies>One Click Installs” on the panel and install WordPress onto your new subdomain. You should create a new database and name it what you want. I dunno if you already have a MySQL host for another database, but you can go ahead and create mysql.biklopsdesign.com.
  2. From here, just follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen or in the email that is sent to you on a successful install!

Good luck but let us know how it goes!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

I think everything is going along swimmingly… except I never got a “successful install” email! Should I worry? I’m sort of stuck now but I do have a subdomain and a MySQL database.

Hmm. It usually arrives 5-10 minutes after I initiate an install.

Do you get other correspondence from DreamHost? Check your email info in the panel:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/id/?tab=contact

My info is correct, and I get the newsletters and everything. I would assume this means I’m screwed. Should I submit a ticket?

Awesome>>www.biklopsdesign.com

Yeah, I’m not sure what went bad. There doesn’t seem to be anything in the blog.biklopsdesign.com web directory. Did the One-Click Install page indicate that all the data submitted on the form was correct?

Yeah, it said I did a good job. The “happy robot” congratulated me if I’m correct. Should I try again?

[quote]A Software Engineer, a Hardware Engineer and a Departmental Manager were on their way to a meeting. They were driving down a steep mountain road when suddenly the brakes on their car failed. The car careened almost out of control down the road, bouncing off the crash barriers, until it miraculously ground to a halt scraping along the mountainside. The car’s occupants, shaken but unhurt, now had a problem: they were stuck halfway down a mountain in a car with no brakes. What were they to do?

“I know,” said the Departmental Manager, “Let’s have a meeting, propose a Vision, formulate a Mission Statement, define some Goals, and by a process of Continuous Improvement find a solution to the Critical Problems, and we can be on our way.”

“No, no,” said the Hardware Engineer, “That will take far too long, and besides, that method has never worked before. I’ve got my Swiss Army knife with me, and in no time at all I can strip down the car’s braking system, isolate the fault, fix it, and we can be on our way.”

“Well,” said the Software Engineer, “Before we do anything, I think we should push the car back up the road and see if it happens again.”[/quote]
Of course you should try again!

HA! Great stuff! Thanks for sharing that one! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

You may want to consider just installing wordpress yourself, manually. It’s VERY easy to do and puts you in full control.

All you do is download the zip file from wordpress. Right click it (in Windows) and choose “extract all”. Go to the extracted folder and inside youll see a folder called wordpress. I change that folder’s name to “blog”.

Inside there is a file called wp-config-sample.php… change it’s name to wp-config.php, open it up and fill in your MySQL information. (Oh yeah, you need to go to your MySQL setup page in the dreamhost panel and create a MySQL database… very easy, couple of clicks, self explanatory when you see the setup page… takes about a minute). The only part (of the wp-config file) you need to fill in will be at the top and will look like this:

define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘yourdatabasesname’); // The name of the database
define(‘DB_USER’, ‘theusernameyoucreated’); // Your MySQL username
define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘thepasswordyoucreated’); // …and password
define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘thedatabasehostnameyoucreated’);

Then upload the contents of the “wordpress” or “blog” folder to wherever (the main directory of your subdomain in this case), go to that subdomain on the web and the wordpress setup will appear magically before your eyes! It will ask you for the blog’s name and your email address, you press the big button and it sets it up automatically for you.

If you upload the whole folder (not just its contents) to your regular domain, then you would go to yourdomain.com/blog or yourdomain.com/wordpress to set it up, and your visitors would go to yourdomain.com/blog (or wordpress) to read it. The “wordpress” or “blog” folder itself would be the subdirectory.

This whole process can be done in about 10 minutes once you’ve done it one time. Ok, maybe 20 and maybe after doing it twice… your mileage may vary!

Thanks! It’s actually up and running now…I just have to come up with something to write!

Thanks everyone on this thread; very helpful stuff!