Make your vote for Roundcube!

apps

Today Roundcube mail has finally reached beta! For those of you who havent seen it., http://www.roundcube.net/ that’s it right there.

It is an amazing piece of work, and it would be a great addition to the dreamhost webmail features. It could easily replace Squirrel mail! I spoke earlier with a dreamhost employee who told me:

“the best thing you could possibly do is to ask any of your friends who also host with DreamHost to vote for RoundCube via the Suggestions panel! If you can get some momentum going, we really do listen to our customers!”

So, I am asking all of you to take a look at the project, and if you like it, please make a suggestion to the Dreamhost team to officially support it!

I would really like to see the option to switch between RoundCube and SquirrelMail (which will get lost when RoundCube gets stable) :slight_smile:

10 points to RoundCube

I’m using it now, and as great as it is (and it’s certainly prettier than SquirrelMail), it’s important to keep in mind that this is BETA software. It’s got serious speed and scalability issues, and there are some weird/unexpected things that the application does that still need to be ironed out. Again, I’m using it and it certainly works, but it’s really not at the point where I’d feel comfortable rolling it out to god-knows-how-many users. Other thoughts from any current RC users?

A drupal developer is working on a roundcube module. Has anyone here given it a whirl? http://drupal.org/node/58466

I agree, it’s pretty, but SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.
Gotta wait for a while, right now, it’s not fast enough for productive work.

Thanks for the feedback. As it turns out, the Drupal module is not yet ready for primetime anyway.

Didn’t Dreamhost used to offer a choice between Squirrelmail and Horde? I may be thinking of someone else. I actually have no problems with Squirrel. It’s getting better and more customizable. I have a couple of domains at Netfirms and they use Squirrelmail, but it offers a “Notes” function, which is very nice.

I would love to have an alternative to SquirrelMail, and Roundcube looks to have a promising future, but it still doesn’t even have the ability to search through messages. It appears to be right at the top of the list of features they’re working on adding, so I’ll happily keep my eye on it, but it looks to be quite a ways from being ready for primetime.