Make wp the fastest?

wordpress

I do a pagespeed check on my site it says faster than 12% of sites. Yeah shared hosting is slow. So now the site is outgrowing shared servers and I need to move it to something better. I tried using a vps with another hosting company but the site crashed …every…day…again…and…again… Then I hear of the sql optimized vps, does it really work better?

All I have is 3 installs of wordpress on different domains. I need my sites to be faster than a whole lot more than 12% of sites, I tell ya that much. So, is it possible to put wordpress in cloud hosting and have the fastest possible page loading? Or could that just be achieved with a vps?

If you have zero interest in learning the skills needed to maintain a VPS (and yeah, there are a lot) then DreamPress would be the next logical step for you. We do all the optimizing for you.

Yes you can make WordPress sites go faster by using cloud hosting, but keep in mind that the host that you choose should be compatible with WP sites (having the right PHP and MySQL versions). Having said that, there are other ways in which you can make your site go faster like:

1. Caching
  2. Using CDN (content delivery network)
  3. Image crunching (without any compromise on quality)
  4. Choosing themes that compliment your site the best. Many times free themes are corrupted and your site may not run smoothly, so be careful.
  5. Keeping only those plugins active that are actually required.

I’m not sure about how good sql optimized VPS, but adopting the tips given above would definitely help you increase your site speed.

Let me know if this helps…

Personally, I find that W3 Total Cache is the secret to “fast” WordPress sites. Essentially, it creates static html versions of every page so your website doesn’t have to manually create them for every visit. That doesn’t help you when you’re trying to post, but it helps your website visitors. You’ll want to set the cache time pretty long. I use a week (604800 seconds). And you’ll want to prime the cache so the site’s generally always ready for visitors. I do that with my own plugin, though W3 Total Cache has a way to do it itself. To do that, you’ll also need to schedule cron from the DreamHost control panel so it gets called frequently–mine is every 5 minutes. Depends on your requirements. My cache primer runs for maximum 10 seconds every 5 minutes so it builds the cache with fairly low server impact. I think the W3 Total Cache option has you set a page fetch limit instead of a time limit.

Between VPS and good caching, I see decent performance.

CloudFlare is another way to pick up some speed. Essentially that provides a static copy off the DreamHost servers at CloudFlare. It takes control of the whole domain’s DNS though, so I haven’t been brave enough to try it.

DreamHost offers WordPress hosting now too, so if you just have the 1 site, it might be reasonable to just do that. That way they take care of the caching and CDN issues and you don’t have to worry about them. They claim fast performance, though I have not tried them. I have too many sites to make it a cost-reasonable option.

"CloudFlare is another way to pick up some speed. Essentially that provides a static copy off the DreamHost servers at CloudFlare. It takes control of the whole domain’s DNS though, so I haven’t been brave enough to try it. "

Just a quick note that we do not manage the DNS (or take control of it) if you activate through Dreamhost’s panel option. DNS is still managed by your provider activating through a hosting partner.

I personally like CloudFlare as it does make sites much faster, it kind of acts like a performance booster that could cause a lot of problems if left unchecked. What site do you use for your page speed test? Is it the internal WP one or something else? Just curious.

I use GTMetrix.