Make my Page Auto Refresh(Load) on Visit?

At the moment the site is cache’ing far tooo much! is this MY IE Settings? is there a way to make my website AUTO Refresh each time (like a Ctrl F5) where it RELOADS EVERYTHING, so people can be sure its up to date when they visit it…?
i change items sometimes 10x per hour, so i want it to update as soon as ive uploaded the file, not wait for the cache timeout:S

anyone have any idea how i could do this?:slight_smile:

There are things you can do to help, but the way you approach it depends on several things.

For example, are your pages static html, or are they dynamically generated?

Do you use any “CMS” style software to manage/create dynamic pages (WordPress, Joomla, etc.), and, if so, what caching options are available to you with that software?

We could advise better if you provided answers to the above questions, as well a the url of your site :wink:

Understand that irrespective of what you do, results are likely to vary to some degree among your visitors depending upon ISP caching (AOL is notorious for caching pages longer than they should), and their browsers’ settings.

You’re most likely right in thinking this is due to your IE settings. By default it doesn’t look for a new copy of a page within the same session. You’ll probably want to consider making a change to the page though, because the bulk of webbrowsers are probably using default settings.

There are a couple techniques you can use. You can place one or both of these meta tags in the page headers, which will tell the browser to request a new copy of the page each time. Another option is to add a dynamic variable to the querystring to ensure it’s always different. For instance you might want to use something like: &qrystr = &qrystr.'&timestr='.time();I’m not positive, but I think the unique querystring method might be a better choice if you want search engines to cache historical data. Guess that depends on your application.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">This directive indicates cached information should not be used and instead requests should be forwarded to the origin server.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">This directive has the same semantics as the PRAGMA:NO-CACHE. Clients SHOULD include both PRAGMA:NO-CACHE and CACHE-CONTROL:NO-CACHE when a no-cache request is sent to a server not known to be HTTP/1.1 compliant.

some search engines don’t save the query list after your url.

You can either set the no-cache thingy via meta tags or if you use php, set it in the header rocks! (so does my site :))
link me