Major email problem

There seems to be a major email problem at the moment. I assume it’s not just me and that other people are affected too. Postfix just seems to be outright rejecting all incoming mail. I have a couple of support requests in the queue but they’ve been at #174 and #181 for the last hour and haven’t budged so I assume all the little happy dreamhost people have gone home for the night.

Anyone know what’s going on?

We too have had probs the last few hours. Very very frustrating!

Just tried sending and receiving without a problem. The email I sent from my Yahoo account to my primary DreamHost hosted email account had arrived by the time I was able to alt-tab to Mozilla Mail and click Get Msgs.

My mailboxes are on jareth.

I’m not sure where all my mailboxes are but the ones on willum and ludo are all bouncing.

Even worse for me – I’m locked out of interactive logins (my host: frigga). IMAP refuses my password too. My site is refusing connections.

“Total protonic reversal!”

:frowning:

-ds

What reason is Postfix giving for rejecting the mail? User unknown errors? Temporary deferrals?

Hi Will,

Unknown user errors. Needless to say the users DO exist (well, I haven’t deleted them and they worked a few hours ago).

Here’s a sample:

This is the Postfix program at host ludo.dreamhost.com.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

jpotter@ludo.dreamhost.com: unknown user: “jpotter”

Hm, my mailbox is on jareth, and I can’t receive any email at all.

Support request has been in queue for the past 3+ hours, and shows no signs of moving forward.

Dreamhost have really dropped the ball on this one. The System Status page still shows everything as having been up for months on end. Where’s the announcement telling us what’s going on? Not good enough guys!

lol. The last time I checked the system status page, it was down. =) think that was last month or so.

In any case, I really don’t pay too much attention to that page. I’ve never actually seen it say ‘down’ when something has been down. =/

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I wonder if they even are attempting to fix it yet???!

I encountered a problem at about the same time last night (10pm ET 1/21). Could not send: password rejected. Same thing happening at 8am this morning (1/22).

we had all of our email refused , nothing in or out and it seems to be rejecting any attempts to log in to get email. My passwords don’t work or anything. is there anyway to contact customer support besides the web messages?

Me too! Total failure on all acounts!

Problem has persisted for at least six hours (since midnight PST).

This is getting infuriating, since I rely on my email heavily!

Only number I can find is a fax number

DreamHost.com
PO BOX 5479
Huntington Park, CA 90255
USA
FAX: 323-583-9505

This is terrible. After using Dreamhost for 3 1/2 years, I am actually considering leaving and going to another host. This is totally unacceptable, and it’s not the first time something like this has gone unnoticed for WAY longer than it should.

My last request for support took upwards of 36 HOURS to get a response (only to be told that I was “probably logged in with the wrong username” – I wasn’t, of course). I am also noticing that site downtime is NOT being added to the system status page as it should be. Right now, according to my system status, I am at 100% across the board for the past month. This is totally absurd.

Meanwhile, my clients are getting their emails to me bounced back to them and I am probably losing credibility as a reliable communicator – this is a very very bad thing.

In DreamHost’s defense, I’m sure they’re going crazy trying to fix what is obviously a dreadful system-wide failure, perhaps a hack or a denial-of-service attack.

On the down-side, there should have been an announcement 4 hours ago alerting the user community that something was wrong. Will?

My email accounts are also doing this and this is totally unexceptable.

My email accounts on also on Jareth. When I go to my control panel and view my mailboxes, it shows that they are 0 bytes out of 5 MB in use. All of them show that and I know for a fact that they have never shown 0 bytes in use since I orginally created them.

What is really agitating me is that I am expecting emails from people, important people, that are supposed to be coming in today. This is seriously hampering my business. Please respond to this problems immediately, Dreamhost, we can’t wait a second longer.

Sorry to be so cranky but when the future of your business relies on an email account that isn’t working, you would be cranky too.

Thank you,

lnudd

I’m sure Dreamhost is working hard at this but they need to let us know that they are doing something about it. Come on guys, the first post was yesterday at 10:00 pm, don’t keep us in the dark like this.

Some of my email accounts were working this morning but now they don’t work, I am receiving phone calls from my clients asking me to fix their email and once again I have to tell them it’s the server even though I praised it highly just two months ago.

It’s time to spend some money and get a new email system or a new email administrator!

http:// www.Webmasterbids.com - Auction off your web site real estate.

Yep. This is not right. The least DH could do is COMMUNICATE.
I would like to think that somebody is working on this, but since you get no feedback, who knows? I have had support never get back to me on some problems.

Earlier this week I was getting “error 404” messages when trying to access my main domain ( webovision.com ). I wrote support and told them what was happening then wrote again and told them I forgot about the datacenter move (which was actually scheduled for that night) and said “Please tell me that you are moving the datacenter right now and thats the problem”

When I finally got a response from support he said:
“Seems that was probably part of the problem. I tested it and it’s up and running now. Sorry for the troubles.”

This seems to be a trend. Wait until the problem is resolved on their end THEN email back saying “gosh, it’s working fine now”.

I have been here for a few years. I like most of what DH offers. But their support is PATHETIC!

I rely on their servers for my business. If they can’t get it together to have better support, I guess I will look for a new host. I am certain they couldn’t care less one way or the other.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .