Mails I send getting marked as spam

email

I have Dreamhost hosting ($119 per year) and have for more than a decade.

I have my own domain and use Dreamhost’s mail hosting. It’s used for my daily email. No bulk emailing.

A few months a few emails got bounced back to me, saying the IP of the mail server was on a block list. I mentioned this to Dreamhost support and got a canned reply. I also went to the block list site, as directed in the bounced email message, and complained to them.

However, my emails are STILL being automatically marked as spam. I setup a new Outlook.com address for my wife, for example, and tested it by sending her a message. It was marked instantly as spam. People have told me they missed my mail because it was filtered as spam, and I’m not getting replies to some emails I send – which implies they’re being filtered and therefore missed by their recipients.

What’s going on? How can I avoid this happening? I’ve a feeling the answer is going to be “it’s a fact of life on shared hosting” but surely that isn’t acceptable?

If I fix this by moving my mail hosting elsewhere, will my domain still be marked as being spam because it’s associated with that Dreamhost IP address?

I only get this this outlook.com. I think it’s a problem their end. I get this with other domains I own that aren’t hosted by dream host.

You will want to configure the anti-spam settings by whitelisting the specific email address or all email addresses for a domain:

Thanks Ohnolo but it seems you didn’t read what I wrote.

I’m not having problems with spam. it’s that emails I send are being considered spam by other email providers as spam.

Having done some research since I posted it seems this is how it is with Dreamhost. My Dreamhost hosting is due for renewal and, after more than a decade, I think it’s time I took my business elsewhere. It’s going to be a major PITA to transfer sites etc. but put simply I HAVE to have email that works.

Hi Keir,

We do have some extra info regarding block email here https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005095667-Blocked-email

However I would suggest replying back to the last email our support team sent letting them know the issue is still happening or submit a new ticket asking for our abuse team to look into why the mail is getting blocked here https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=support.msg&

Thanks!
Matt C

You need to avoid implementing any (free, sales, offer etc) words and image attachment in your email signature and it will work normally :wink: :blush:

Thanks kristinechua8h but most of the time I’m just sending plain text emails without a signature other than my own name.

The problem here isn’t with the emails I’m sending. It’s that Dreamhost servers are used by spammers, and that’s ruining it for the rest of us because we share the same IP address. A friend yesterday told me he was having the exact same problem as me.

I’m not sure if Dreamhost have any remedial measures in place but from what I’ve seen so far it appears not.

And do you know what the huge irony is here?

I keep missing the email notifications that Dreamhost send me about new posts in this thread — because they keep getting marked as spam.

I would suggest writing in to support again and including as much detail about a particular message as you can (date and time sent with time zone, from address, to address, subject, mail client used, etc.). They should be able to inspect the mail logs and see if there is anything that may have triggered your messages being tagged as spam.

We have spent this year making improvements to our mail systems. A lot of the changes lately are focused on deliverability of messages and sometimes the checks can be very strict. Our tech support team can help verify your client settings and ensure your SPF records are setup properly.

This is not a server or hosting issue. This is a general issue with email that you will find no matter where you host your business emails. This article discusses what you can do from your end. The fact is that about 80-90% of All email on the INTERNET is Spam. In spite of this, businesses anticipate increasing the number of email campaigns on the web.

There are several things that may help, but bear mind these are suggestions and not a guarantee that your email will no longer be filtered as spam:

1. Make sure that you are not in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. Verify that your emails make the grade and you’re not falling into common filtering rules.

2. Send your customers a personal email message requesting that they white-list your domain, so that your business emails don’t get filtered into Spam. In this, I’m referring to a “personal” email as one that doesn’t include your marketing links or business advertisements or enhancements that may flag the email as something other than a personal email.

3. Check to make sure that your Email Authentication is enabled. This helps stop spam coming from your email address (even if you’re not sending any that you know of). One of the common tactics by spammers out there is to spoof email coming from your domain. This causes you to get blacklisted even though you’re not sending emails. Here’s an article on these settings: Email Authentication - SPF and DomainKeys.

4. If all else fails, you might want to consider a paid service or use a large specific email host for sending business emails- like Google mail. There are services for sending out emails for marketing such as MailChimp.com. Check them out as possible solutions since they can provide business email and newsletter services.

5. Examine your email bounces. When an email bounces, it will tell you “why” it’s being bounced and give you a source or reason for the bounce. If you’re being listed on a service (that you may not be aware of), then you should investigate. In some cases, you can very easily remove yourself from a list simply contacting the authority who has blacklisted you. This may not always be the same person as the email administrator of that server. However, you can also send an email to an email administrator of the service to find out why your emails are being blocked. Though, I would only do this after examining the reason for the block and ,making sure that you have done your due diligence by reading their bounce messages and confirmed that you’re not sending spam.

I’m sorry but you’re wrong in this case. This happens because Dreamhost allows spammers to use mail servers on the same IP address as the one I use. The bounce emails explain this.

You’re right that spammers can send spam from the same IP addresses that your email is delivered from. Email passwords are hacked, DreamHost account passwords get hacked, and malicious users sign up for the service. As these spammers gain access, the volume of spam spikes and we can be placed on a blacklist.

We’ve made a lot of progress in reducing the amount of times this happens. We’ve built new tooling to surface accounts that are likely to be hacked and shut them down quickly. We have additional outbound mail filtering to block messages before they leave our servers. And as of late October, we have a third-party outbound filtering service, called MailChannels, for our outbound SMTP traffic.

I hope you’ve noticed an improvement in the deliverability of your messages and reduced occurrences of our service on blacklists.

@keir
Did you get your email issue resolved. I am suffering for the same problem for over a month now and can’t get it resolved. The IP address of the server used for my email is in some blacklists and I’ve gone through countless messages to support to no avail. Hoping you were able to get yours fixed and can guide me in the right direction… At this point I feel like my only option is to move my emails to another host.
Hoping you can help…

You’re correct that spammers can send spam from a similar IP tends to that your email is conveyed from. Email passwords are hacked, DreamHost account passwords get hacked, and malevolent clients agree to accept the administration. As these spammers obtain entrance, the volume of spam spikes and we can be set on a boycott.

We’ve gained a great deal of ground in lessening the measure of times this occurs. We’ve manufactured new tooling to surface records that are probably going to be hacked and close them down rapidly. We have extra outbound mail sifting to square messages previously they leave our servers. What’s more, starting late October, we host a third-gathering outbound sifting administration, called MailChannels, for our outbound SMTP traffic.

I trust you’ve seen an enhancement in the deliverability of your messages and diminished events of our administration on boycotts.

I would recommend sending in to help again and including as much insight concerning a specific message as you can (date and time sent with time zone, from location, to address, subject, mail customer utilized, and so on.). They ought to have the capacity to investigate the mail logs and check whether there is whatever may have set off your messages being labeled as spam.

We have gone through this year making enhancements to our mail frameworks. A great deal of the progressions recently are centered around deliverability of messages and now and then the checks can be exceptionally strict. Our technical support group can help check your customer settings and guarantee your SPF records are setup legitimately.

I tried this and it worked. Really thanks for sharing this information with us.

@justinlund Wait… the outbound bounces I’m getting are because DreamHost implemented third party outbound filtering, and that change was implemented in October? That explains a lot, actually.

I’ve contacted support about errors originating from relay.mailchannels.net multiple times in the past few months, and the responses have ranged from unhelpful to infuriating, including closing the support ticket weeks after my last message without ever actually responding to the message or resolving the issue.

Not one of those responses from DH support mentioned that this was a service DH had implemented recently, none suggested any mitigation strategy, and none could explain why routine benign emails from one of my domains were not being delivered to the recipient domain.

Like @amcgarity, I’m basically at the point where I’ll just have to move email to another host for at least one of my domains. That’s a huge pain, and I’ve been with DH a loooooooong time. But I’ve lost business because routine, run-of-the-mill emails continue to fail unpredictably months after I first contacted DH support. I just can’t have that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.