Mailbox numbered vs named

Didn’t know if this should go here “curious” or “offtopic”…

Just wondering if Dreamhost’s mailbox system is always going to be m###### or if there’s any plans to move over to usernames instead?

This is a very small issue when you talk about a new customer but when you have a scenario where you’re taking on a client, and talking about moving them and all their established email boxes, over to DH… well that’s a big added expense and/or headache to reconfigure all their mail clients. Not to mention the confusion it causes for the everyday mail user at said company. Puts a sour puss on most faces when explained without a doubt!

It’s not really the address that’s the real issue, it’s the username and (re)configuring mail clients in a way that doesn’t make people go sour.

The “create a new user” thing to get a “friendly” username is a non-option as well since I betcha the user “steve” and the like are taken, not to mention the added configuration time once again (can you tell yet that I’mm facing a lot of work yet?! :slight_smile: )

This can be solved with virtual domain support for mailbox usernames I’ve heard it said, also heard it said that DH would like to do this “eventually”? Is eventually close to rolling around yet?

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

[quote]This can be solved with virtual domain support for mailbox usernames I’ve
heard it said, also heard it said that DH would like to do this “eventually”? Is
eventually close to rolling around yet?

[/quote]

Our eventual goal is to make it where people can log in using their email address, and while the m1234567 scheme may continue to exist it won’t be very well ‘exposed’ to customers.

This is indeed a ways off, though (sorry, no more specific timeframe). We have already done some preliminary work in this direction but it turns out it’s a bit harder to support than we thought. It’s something we’re aware of, though.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

[quote]it’s the username and (re)configuring mail clients in a way that doesn’t make people go sour.

[/quote]

I’ve got that problem here, trying to retain username. And even where the user name is available, e.g. fred.bloggs is disallowed because it contains ‘.’

Also I need to retain the POP3 server name - mail-host.domain.com . Any idea how to do this at DH, anyone?

We can change the ‘mail.domain.com’ DNS entry we set up automatically upon request. Ask our support team about it.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

This is exactly my scenario. My company is moving a lot of its clients over to a dedicated dreamhost server to cut hosting fees. I (not knowing exactly how irresponsible this would was) moved a lot of the domains without telling anyone. I know all the e-mail users and password and since the old mail servers were all mail.mydomain.com, I figured there wouldn’t be a large outcry. Wrong.

It seems that:

a) none of the users use webmail, so the fact that they can log in with their e-mail addresses here was not useful
b) someone had gone and specified IPs instead of mail.mydomain.com in their Outlook, Outlook Express, Entourage, and Exchange settings, thus making the fact that the new mail servers were named identically to the old not a benefit

i made up some nonsense about this having been an “upgrade” so that they wouldn’t suspect us of inconveniencing them to make a quick buck. the users were very unhappy about their changed usernames. i explained that no one but them would even know, but they were still very unpleasant about it.

a set of e-mail client tutorials that actually fills in people’s usernames into the screenshots would be the ultimate tool. that way we could just print these out and fax them to people.

Thanks.

Just tell them it’s an added security feature.
A hacker would have to guess both a user name and a password as opposed to knowing the username based on the email address and guessing JUST the password. That’s what I tell people (and it’s true) and it makes them happy that we are making their email accounts more secure (and they are!!)

In this case, you could have added all of the users as shell or ftp users which allow you to pick whatever username you want. All shell and ftp users are also a mailbox.

Also, we do have plans to eventually allow users to login with just their email address in all parts of the email system, but the support for that is waiting on some other system updates currently in progress. Once the other changes are done, we can get back to making it work.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder