Mail SRS forwarding

I have an issue where some email forwarded to another address from a Dreamhost account is being bounced.

As I understand it, the receiving server is rejecting it based on the SPF settings of the sending domain.

I gather that the two options I have to get this working are:

1. Set the receiving server to ignore SPF when receiving from the Dreamhost account.
  2. Set the Dreamhost account to do sender-rewriting such as SRS. Is this possible with Dreamhost?

cheers, Steve West

How is the email being forwarded? A script or manually?

It uses the forwarding setting in the Dreamhost panel.

I’ve determined that option 1 isn’t available, so I’m hoping option 2 is possible. Anyone know the answer to this? Should I raise a ticket?

cheers, Steve

Yes, please open a ticket :slight_smile:

No Joy. I forwarded a sample bounced email as part of the support ticket. All that happened was that I got an automated reply:

This is just a notification that your message has been moved to our mail blocks queue. This queue is information that our abuse staff uses to determine who is blocking us, why we are being blocked, and at around what time period we are being blocked. Your ticket will be used for information purposes only in helping us get the block removed. You may not receive a response, but you will be instrumental in helping us get this issue resolved faster. Thank you for your mail block report.

The DreamHost Ticket Moving Robot![/quote]

I’ve heard nothing since and the problem is not solved - the bouncing is still happening.

It seems that the email forwarding feature in the Dreamhost Panel is half-baked if it allows forwarding but doesn’t include an SRS option.

Surely this problem must come up frequently for other people: Lots of email servers/providers send using SPF and some (like Demon Internet in the UK) will automatically bounce any incoming message using SPF that doesn’t have the correct sender credentials.

I don’t see any support tickets for the account associated with the email address you use here, so I can’t go look for you :frowning:

What domain is this? You can PM me if you don’t want it public :slight_smile:

Thanks. See my message #5448298 to support, all of the details are in that message.

The ticket is in our email queue, and we do have real humans looking at it. The auto reply (while annoying) was just to say that we had to get a different team to look at it.

That’s good to hear, but it’s been over 4 weeks since I submitted the ticket. That’s a long time to wait without a reply.

Our client who is suffering the consequences of bounced email is obviously anxious to get the problem fixed and is asking me every few days if there’s any news on the situation. I haven’t been able to keep them updated on progress as I haven’t had any feedback from Dreamhost.

Was this problem ever resolved? We are experiencing the same issue so we’d like to know if opening a ticket is going to help or if we need to look at some other solution.

I don’t know if Dreamhost addressed it and implemented sender-rewriting.

We sidestepped the issue eventually by discontinuing the forwarding.