Mail server connect errors -- periodically

Hi all,

I have a client whose employees routinely complain about getting mail server connect errors (I have a dedicated server). It doesn’t seem to be any regular occurence or anything that can be pinpointed. So my question is does anyone else have/had similar problems?

Support suggested that it was an email corrupting the mail, but I am not sure I agree with that response as they may check mail minutes later and it connects and downloads the email fine.

They (approximately 50 clients) are using Outlook Express, so not sure if that has anything to do with it either. I am thinking that maybe it has something to do with the way they are accessing – not sure if they use isdn lines or what.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I guess I just want to make sure that it isn’t something I can give them a “real” answer for. :slight_smile:

deb

I frequently leave my mail program running and it will connect every 10 minutes (Mozilla Mail, shared host). I also frequenty get an error that the mail server was unreachable (or something like that, not verbatim). I haven’t asked DH about it as it’s not a major issue, but it’s a frequent one anyway.

So it looks like you’re not all alone.

TorbenGB

I leave my clients open all day and get the occassional connection problem, but 10 minutes later on the next check, it’s fine, so I don’t consider that a big deal.

Now the IMAP connections are a little more troublesome. They’ll disconnect daily and you have to get them going again by reestablishing a connection manually.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

Are they behind a NAT device of any sort?

Anyway, I think I have corrected this problem for you. Let me know if your client continues to see this problem.

I am not sure if they are or not. I will give them a call and find out.

As always you are my hero. :slight_smile:

deb

yessir, I’m behind routers at home and office, if you’ve got something to say on that I’m all ears. Not that it’s a big problem at all really, but extraneous information is always welcome.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

Nothing specific… however if you have a large number of clients showing up from the same IP address, any settings which affect the max number of clients from a particular IP will take effect.

Sometimes there seem to be random NAT issues with certain home router type devices too…