Mail Scripts Not Sending Mail?

Hi everyone. It looks like email scripts aren’t actually sending out emails (and clearly visitors of the site aren’t receiving automated emails, etc.). I’m aware Dreamhost has been having email issues all day, but does anyone else mail script problems?

Probably Friday was a bad hair day for email so I would check your email scripts again over the next few days. If it is still not working then put some details here and maybe someone will have a suggestion or two. Or if totally stuck in the mud give the Support wallahs a shout.

Norm

Opinions are my own views and are not the views of DreamHost.
Any advice offered by me should be acted upon only at your own risk.

mine is not working to, it works fine in the two hosts before this. I’m not sure what happen. is there any error log we can see ?

What script are you running? It may be that some functions in the script are not allowable under DreamHost or indeed may have run under a different PHP version/setup on your previous hosters.

Are you getting any error messages at all?

Norm

the problem is some email did get sent to the recipient, but some i dunno lost to blackhole?

i’m having the same issue. i’m using dada mail, which uses sendmail on the backend to do its sending.

my announcement list, which is about 3000 emails, was sent out yesterday morning. i have about 10 of my own emails on the list to make sure it arrives in different places-- one arrived on time. two arrived a few hours after they were sent, but the others never arrived. some of my friends on the list never got the email either.

i’ve had an open support request (with a requested callback) open for about 24 hours now.

the annoying thing is, if i do have to re-send this mailing, i’m most likely going to have to double-send the mail to some people-- unless there is an error log or some indicator of who actually received the emails.

i’ve used this process successfully in the past, so i’m assuming its due to the DOS attacks they had yesterday, or some email reconfiguration issue… hopefully someone gets back to me soon and figures this out!!!

3000 emails hmmm. I think there is a limit on the number of emails going out per hour sort of around 100 - 200 per hour.
Some people are switching to blogs and using rss feeds so they can get out their missives. Sending large amounts of email on a shared email server system, especially one with sinus troubles, is always going to be a tad difficult.

Norm

i’ve throttled the sending way down-- so it takes place over many many hours. i’ve gone over this with support in the past, and they’ve let me know it shouldn’t be a problem. it has worked fine in the past, too.

and however you cut it, email is still the most effective way of getting a message out to your users. especially when your updates are only once every few weeks.

i don’t think most people aren’t savvy enough to subscribe to rss feeds just yet- a lot of people i know don’t even use tabbed browsing! let alone know what an ‘rss feed’ is. and blogs require your users to be visiting your site on a regular basis to get updates.

regardless, given the other replies on this thread it seems to be a sitewide issue with script-based email sending…

Yes there have been times when PHP mail has stopped altogether before being sent out later in dribs and drabs. Maybe there is another DDOS taking place?

Norm