Mail mirroring question - mailboxes?

I have a question about how mail mirroring works. It says that all the emails on one domain will work on the other domain. But i’m not clear on how this works- what about mailboxes set up on the domain which is being mirrored- does the mirroring domain also have a mailbox created, or does it just work like an alias?

I would test this out but the domain I want to use “mail mirroring” on is currently pointing to a different, non-Dreamhost webhost. I want to set things up before I switch the nameservers to point to Dreamhost.

Mailboxes on domains using mail mirroring are shared between the two domains. If you have two addresses alice@example1.com and bob@example1.com, and example2.com is set to mail mirror example1.com, Alice and Bob’s mailboxes will also receive mail to alice@example2.com and bob@example2.com, respectively.

ok, thanks for the fast reply! I think that answers my question. So there will be duplicate mailboxes, if I understand correctly.

It doesn’t seem to work if I use forwards for example1.com and not regular mailboxes. The forwards of example1.com and then not mirrored by example2.com.

Is that correct? And if so, is there another solution?