Mail getting bounced

Anybody having problems receiving email from non DH people? Most of the mail sent to us is getting bounced right now. They’re getting a “Relay Access Denied” “Service Unavailable” error.

People trying to send me mail are getting a bounce that says:

This is the Postfix program at host loot.dreamhost.com.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

tracy@cdnm.com: mail for cdnm.com loops back to myself
Reporting-MTA: dns; loot.dreamhost.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: A14418D4F
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; btaylor@taylorimages.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:16:03 -0800 (PST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; tracy@cdnm.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail for cdnm.com loops back to myself

Exactly. We’ve seen that same error too. I’ve checked all our settings in our Control Panel and they’re fine. I’ve been having non DH people send me emails and they’re not arriving or being bounced. Dang.

Is that “loops back to itself” line saying that the email is being bounced as if it was spam?

Guess it’s a DH wide issue and not just us. Double dang.

i am having clients calling me up reporting the same problem. all emails sent to them from nondreamhost email accounts are being bounced back saying there is a permanent fatal error.

what the hell is going on. there’s no mention of any problems on http://status.dreamhost.com/

Right. I keep checking the “Announcements” page and there’s no mention of the problem at all. I’ve put in a notice on the Support page. Will you do the same just so they know it’s a widespread problem?

Yes, I’m having the same issue. RELAY ACCESS DENIED

submitted a support request.

yes, i already put in a support ticket and labeled it as “site/email outage emergency”

the odd thing is that my email (different domain) is on the same server and i don’t seem to be having any issues… but i have my clients email set up on the same server and they are having problems on all the accounts with that domain. however email sent from other dreamhost email accounts are getting through, it’s just email sent from non dreamhost email accounts that are being bounced.

Yeah. That is goofy. The only conclusion I could come to is that it’s the DH and non-DH thing. I have received a couple of emails from non-DH addresses (I sent an email from my Netscape account to myself and got it). But 99% of emails from non-DH users are getting bounced. This sucks.

Wish we all knew if DH was working on the problem. Nothing on the Announcements or Status page…

Another odd thing for me, is that I can send a message from my yahoo account to my DH account, and it gets bounced. And then send another message from the same yahoo account to the exact same DH account, slightly changing the subject, and message body, and it comes through fine. How do you troubleshoot that?

Niiiiiiice. Wonder if it’s their spam filter. Although I don’t have DH’s filter operating on our accounts. Do you?

Was your first subject line something spammish?

here’s the response i got back from dreamhost:

“Im sorry about this, it looks like one of the mail services that handles email for your account has stopped responding, This only seems to be efecting emails from outside of our system as you mentioned. Our admins are looking into this currently and should have it up in a couple of hours if not sooner. Sorry again for the inconvenience. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.”

Thanks for the update. I’ve not heard from DH yet so it’s good to know they are on it.

I’m having the same problem… since yesterday evening. I’ve lost quite a bit of important email already, since by chance I had sent out a lot yesterday that would get replied.

A DH support fellow characterized it a small, temporary problem that would not cause any permanent harm. I found this almost as frustrating as the email problem.

I’m in need of a hosting service, that understands the high importance of working email in a business setting. DH used to be much more expensive, but used to be that way. Now I can get a zillion domains for a dollar, but… I’d rather pay several times as much, and have my email work.

I sent another support request this morning, and have had no indication that DH is aware of this problem or is working on it. No announcements, no emerg status page, etc.

I’m still getting my email, but it seems to be a bit slow through the system.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites (business site) | si-blog (personal site with affiliate links)

Just to close this out. We’re back up and running now.

And just to re-open it - the same problems have started again. All mail to my domains is being bounced with “Relay access denied”

submit a support ticket and label it emergency outage.

Thanks for the advice but I did that 12 hours ago. All mail is still out.

I’ve been having problems on new email accounts set up on dreamhost as the message bounces back with the ‘Relay’ error message. Emails sent to my older DH addresses make it through no problem.

Some bounce backs come thorugh as unknown user, despite the email accounts being set up and having the email directories visible on my ftp directory.

All this extra bandwidth and disk space seems a bit of awaste of time.

DH in financial diffiiculties by any chance?

I don’t think so otherwise they wouldn’t be hiring.

I think a lot of the problems might be they are outgrowing their data center. Not that they don’t have enough room but that the building is having power issues (as in it can’t provide enough power). Hence why dedicated sever sign ups are on hold right now.

I think the problems you are seeing are growing pains. Although I’ve yet to experience any problems except when adding an uplink to the core router which lasted about 2 minutes.

digitalrundown.com
Promo Code: WJD97 - $97.00 off any new DreamHost plan (except month-month payments).