Mail and Outlook 2003

I know there are many choices for mail clients but I want to stick with Outlook.

Here is an example address I have setup

Email Address: someaddress@.com
"Mailbox Name":
Login: m8xxxxx1

In Outlook for User Name do I use the Mailbox Name or Login name?

You’ll probably want the m12345678 name. Check in the Panel > Mail > Manage area to be sure. It should list each E-mail address you have set up and what the log in is. ’

The difference will be if it was just set up as a E-mail address, or if the E-mail address was set up in conjunction with a user.

-Matttail

Ok one of them was setup as a user and the other accounts were not setup as users.

So for the one setup as a user I log in with the username and the other uses the m??? format?

Ya, that’s the idea. Of couse the m12345678 only applies to E-mail clients and NOT webmail.

You should be able to find this in the panel too. EAch E-mail address is listed with a mailbox name of m12334567 or just the user name - thus indicating what you should use for the login for each account.

-Matttail

How came you can’t type in your own mailbox name and you are forced to use the M12345678 thing? What’s the deal with that?

THE MAILBOX CREATE FORM IS PURE CRAP!! WHY IN THE HELL IS IT SO HARD TO JUST GIVE A PERSON THE ABILITY TO JUST NAME THERE OWN MAILBOX??

HELLLOOOOOOOO LOOSERS WAKE UP PEOPLE DON’T WANT TO USE MHADKDAKJDASDJ AS A MAILBOX NAME!

Maybe because usernames need to be globally unique across all of Dreamhost’s many servers, and they have a huge number of customers, so it’s simply not feasible to just let everybody use up lots of good, short names for their e-mail users, blocking those names from use by all other customers? Instead, they let you get names of your own choice for the web hosting users (of which there are usually only a small number per account), but not the mailbox names (which might be in the hundreds for one user).

– Dan