Mail accounts with shell account

Hi,

I’d like to know how the non-shell mail accounts are handled and if I can attach/detach them from shell accounts if/when I need to…

Specifically, can I create a shell account with a mailbox, create a .procmail file for it, delete the shell account and keep the mail (imap) account?

Will the .procmail file ‘survive’?

Can I later re-create the shell account and re-attach the mail account to it in order to edit the .procmail file?

TIA

[color=#0000CC]Mariano Absatz[/color] - “[color=#6600CC]el baby[/color]”

[color=#00CC00]Message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons[/color]

Nope. They’re two different beasts, so you can’t switch back and forth.

Are you concerned about using your allocated shell accounts?

-Scott

Well, kinda… I have a bunch of users who are really only mail users but for whom I have set up some .procmail filters (these are users I’m about to migrate from other hosting).

For one thing, I “only” have 75 shell accounts, and a hefty 3000 mail accounts… alright, I only have about 30 users so far, so I could give each one a shell account.

But the other thing is that I don’t trust these users’ cleverness for password choice, and they aren’t using TLS right now, so their passwords could have been eavesdropped… I wouldn’t want to risk people being able to access the web host via ssh/ftp using the mail username/password.

I would compile a copy of Spamassassin locally if you need to configure special rules.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all plans by using promo code: SRVR97. More Here

Sure, I can do that (probably I will), but I still need a shell account for every mailbox I intend to protect with it, don’t I?

email passwords are managed separately from shell passwords; once the user is created you can change the shell password to something only you know.

Larry