.Mac & Personal Domain Names

Hi there,

I have a question regarding Personal Domain Registration. I was wondering if DH will just take care of the Domain Registration for a site? I have hosting services through DH but no longer need them to host. I just want to keep the URL and host a personal site on .Mac. Can this be done? Am I jerk for asking?

Yes you can use DH for domain registration only if you want.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

Next question, how would I go about doing this? I was looking on the DH control panel and I am not sure how to make that change. I would assume that I will change my billing plan? Also, the .Mac site advises that I will have to contact my register:

"When you see a screen confirming that .Mac is configured to host your domain, go to your domain name registrar’s web hosting area, and point your domain (by adding or changing a “cname record”) to “web.mac.com.”

For instructions on changing the cname register, contact your domain name registrar"

I have searched the DH Wiki and it tells me what a cname is, but not how to change it.

Thanks for your help!

I think you just go to “Home>Manage Account>”, under “Hosting Plans”, “edit” your hosting plan, then "close your account’.

[quote]"When you see a screen confirming that .Mac is configured to host your domain, go to your domain name registrar’s web hosting area, and point your domain (by adding or changing a “cname record”) to “web.mac.com.”

For instructions on changing the cname register, contact your domain name registrar"

I have searched the DH Wiki and it tells me what a cname is, but not how to change it.[/quote]
Here’s some advice I gave another poster on using DreamHost for pure domain registration:

So the problem is that after you close your hosting account, you’ll need to find free DNS services for your domain. Until you find something better, use one of the ones I mention in my quote above.

To be specific and prescriptive, since you intend to close your hosting account, you should set up an account at one of the free DNS services I mention, after you do so, change your nameservers to the nameservers of the free DNS service, then close your DreamHost hosting account. You change your nameservers at “Domains>Domain Registrations>”. Click on your domain listed there and “Modify WHOIS Info for yourdomain.tld” on the next page. Then fill out the section labeled “Set DNS info to host your domain elsewhere”.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

And another question…

If I keep my hosting account, I could use iWeb to create my website and then publish it to a folder, then upload the site to my DH Domain?

How do I clear what I have on the site now? Do I just delete it from the control panel and then recreate it?

I am going to keep my hosting account. I am just trying to develop an easy way to maintain my website.

Thanks for all the advice!

Yes, you can do that. It might help you to do a search for iweb on all the forums. You’ll find what problems other people have had to work around. The only thing I’ve noticed is one thread on saving connection parameters in cyberduck and one thread on trying to avoid republishing your entire site every time.

You can either ftp or sftp in and delete stuff or shell in and rm -rf the whole directory. I think if you delete the domain in the panel it still leaves the directory around (which is kind of the exact opposite of what you want to do).

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes