As an experiment, I’m trying to install lucid.calendar and I’m getting hung up on the install.

I created a database, hostname, and user in MySQL but am ignorant enough about telnet commands that I’m not sure how to connect the script to the database.

I contacted support and was told that since they don’t support 3rd party scripts, they wouldn’t help me.

The following is from the install faq. The part that I’m lost on is the connecting to the MySQL database and the part about protecting files (is that a simple chmod, or do I need to do more?)

I would appreciate any help you can give… I know design, but I get sort of lost in some of the backend, although I’m trying to learn as I go along.

3) I’m assuming you have a MySQL database ready to go that you can
make tables on. We’ll pretend it’s called “your_db”. Run the command

mysql [options] your_db < lucid_calendar.mysql

where [options] is any options you need to include (such as a
password). This will create the necessary tables in your_db.

1. cd to the “api” folder. Open “cal.api” in your favorite text editor
    and edit the first four variables as you need to for your
    system. These variables just indicate the database name, user name,
    password, and server.

Incidentally, since this file contains information about your
database, I HIGHLY recommend protecting it in some way (htpasswd, for
example) so that it’s not world readable.

1. Fire up a web browser and navigate to /calendar/admin/ where you’ll
    find the administrator stuff. Click on “Add a new posting

Remember that stuff I said about protecting the “api” directory? You
might want to do that here too.

[quote]Incidentally, since this file contains information about your
database, I HIGHLY recommend protecting it in some way (htpasswd, for
example) so that it’s not world readable.[/quote]
Actually, they are talking about three different things here:

1. htpasswd is a program for creating password files with the usernames and passwords.

2. Using the .htaccess, you can have the web server ask for a username and password in order to access the file over the web. Naturally you have to use htpasswd to create a file needed to implement this.

3. “world-readable” usually refers to file permissions, which don’t have anything to do with #2 much less #1. File permssions are used to determine who can read, write, or execute a file thus are not unique to web server software.

If you upload or create a data file, you should modify the file permissions appropiately. The web server software itself will not send a file if the file permssions indicate that the ‘public’ does not have access to the file. Synonyms for public are ‘world’ and ‘other’. The three major permissions are read, write and execute. So “world-readable” means that the public can read the file. You definitely don’t want the file “world-writeable” or “world-executable” as well so when you use CHMOD on data files, the value should end with a zero, eg 640 or 600.

However keep in mind that your CGI scripts/programs would still be able to read the file. To restrict access to the CGI script/program you can use password-protection.
:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS