Love the "new" design!

When I first registered with Dreamhost a number of years ago, the site wasn’t so user-friendly. I really appreciate the re-design and how easy it is to navigate through the pages. Very nice job.

I was wondering though, why do expired domains that I chose to no longer renew, still appear on my registered domains page. I would expect them to be cleared altogether.

Thanks and keep up the great work! Mike

They appear on your “Manage Domains” page, not on your “Registrations” page.

“Manage Domains” actually refers to a directory on the web server. The files still exist. That way, if you let the domain expire accidentally, once you renew, the files are still there—you don’t need to create everything from scratch. Even if you let the domain expire, those files are still there and you can access that data later if you need to.

Those files are taking up your server space, by the way, so if you don’t need them, you might want to get rid of them.

Note: This is how DreamHost, and most other web hosting providers I work with, do it. Some—WebFaction is an example—do it quite differently, but the effect is the same.

My expired domains do show up in my Registrations page. They’re intermingled with my existing registrations. It has a “Redeem this domain” button with it, supposedly so I can resurrect it. I haven’t really paid attention to how long an expired domain stays on that list before it’s cleared.

A year and a half ago I contacted support about expired domains on my accounts registrations page. They cleaned it up and called it a glitch. The full support reply is quoted below.