Lots of Questions

I have a few questions about the service before I sign up (hopefully today).

I’m looking at the “Crazy Domain Insane!” package with a 2 year pre-payment and domain registration. Also I plan on using one of the “$97 discount” codes. Now, is it safe to assume that this discount would be deducted on signup? If so, would these calculations be correct:

$7.95 x 24 months: $190.80

• 1 Free Domain
  • Discount code $97

Total due: $93.80 (Plus tax)

Would that be correct? I just want to make sure I understand the discount/pricing system.

Now, I have a few more questions…

I’d like to have multiple domains hosted on my package, however I want to use them as seperate websites. So instead of registering another domain with a seperate hosting package can I use multiple domains on one package?

Is there a way to mask the address as well? Example:

• Domain1.com registered with package is one site.
  • Domain2.com seperate domain hosted on same package, but when a user visits they don’t see that they are being redirected to “Domain1.com”. Is this possible? Is there an added cost, other than the cost of the second domain?

Also - I have never seen a host offer so much bandwidth/disc space, is there a catch to this? It seems like it’s too good to be true (and it increases weekly!). Would it be safe to assume I’d have a very hard time going over my bandwidth usage in a month (I don’t plan on inventing the next google.com).

Finally, my last question…

What is your policy on hosting MP3’s? Is there a way to allow them to be streamed? Are they allowed to be stored if they are not being solicited to the public?

I’ve noticed a lot of music blogs uploading music and distributing it - Most likely without permission, I assume this is frowned upon? Is there a way to do it legally via streaming?

I think that’s about it, hopefully someone can shed some light on these issues.

Thanks in advance.

Hi
Yes on the cost, it is deducted on sign up

Yes on the domains, there is no additional cost, you can just set domain 2 to mirror domain one, it’s very easy to do in the panel

I have almost 20 websites on one of my packages, and I only use 1% of my bandwidth with them all combined…I doubt you could go over it.

someone else can answer you on the mp3 item. I think you need to own it in order to upload it though…I could be wrong.

I am using DH from a couple of months:)

I am fairly happy with the service.

I had problems (up to now) only once. The MySQL database went insane. Support replied pretty soon and they fixed the problem:)

The “Crazy Domain Insane!” package with a 2 year pre-payment and domain registration is a good choice.

$7.95 x 24 months: $190.80 + 1 Free Domain

• Discount code $97 :: Total due: $93.80 (Plus tax)

This is quite correct! :slight_smile:

And instead of registering another domain with a separate hosting package you can use multiple domains on one package!

As to bandwidth/disc space, there’s no catch. And it increases weekly, yes:) But mind, if you invent Google, you’ll exhaust your CPU minutes (I think, you can use 1/24th of the server time in one day) so you’ll have to buy your own server, even if you didn’t exhaust your bandwidth :wink:

Concerning MP3, I believe the following applies:
If the MP3s are YOURS, then you can store them away from other on your accuont.

Illegal content download/share is NOT allowed, as far as I know.

Dreamhost is used by a lot of webdesigners/CSS designers (Mike Davidson, Dan Cederholm, others) so, because I work in this field, I believe that the service is good:)
The creator of NEWSVINE and the inventor of FAUX COLUMNS CSS METHOD can’t be wrong, right;-)

My $ 0.02 :slight_smile:

I don’t think there is any ‘hard limit’ on CPU usage any more, but you may experience problems if your site(s) are using enough system resources to adversely affect others on your shared server.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Another question regarding something you mentioned:

“…But mind, if you invent Google, you’ll exhaust your CPU minutes (I think, you can use 1/24th of the server time in one day) so you’ll have to buy your own server…”

What does this mean? We are limited “CPU minutes”?

How does this work? And do they usually give you a heads-up if you’re about to go over your “CPU minutes” and likewise for bandwidth?

'I don’t think there is any ‘hard limit’ on CPU usage any more, but you may experience problems if your site(s) are using enough system resources to adversely affect others on your shared server.

Mark"

Okay, thanks Mark.

I doubt I’ll be using up all the system resources, I don’t plan to. If this were to happen will they forewarn you?

I just hate being surprised by extra usage fees.

Just wanted to make sure there are no “hidden fees” before I register.

I believe the general procedure for sites that are causing problems is that DreamHost will contact you and ask you to reduce resource usage. They may even move your sites to a different server while you are taking the steps required to reduce resource usage.

There are extra fees for exceeding your space/bandwidth quotas, but unless you are getting some serious traffic, I doubt that this will happen.

You can configure bandwidth thresholds on a domain-by-domain basis, if the domain reaches the threshold, it can automatically start to serve low-bandwidth pages instead of your usual content.

There is no need to worry, there are no hidden fees. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I think DH is clear with the fees they charge. And that is also one of the reaons I’m here.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

yes the catch is that you will find it very difficult to use it all! :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)