Lots of problems

I setup hosting on dreamhost.com yesterday. I’m running away from my old host because they were having way too many problems. Stuff seems to have propogated rather quickly. Now I’m having pleanty of problems here that make me want to go somewhere else.

1. FTP will not work, regardless if I’m connecting to bob.dreamhost.com or capro.org. I’m entering my default shell account info and it won’t work. I created a new shell account and it won’t work as well. Well it just changed, at first as soon as the password was sent I’d be disconnected. now it seems to log on but can’t find something:

STATUS:> Host name capro.org resolved: ip = 66.33.205.180.
STATUS:> Connecting to FTP server capro.org:21 (ip = 66.33.205.180)…
220 ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1 Server (DreamHost FTP) [bob.dreamhost.com]
COMMAND:> USER capro
331 Password required for capro.
COMMAND:> PASS *****
230 User capro logged in.
COMMAND:> PWD
257 “/” is current directory.
COMMAND:> FEAT
500 FEAT not understood.
STATUS:> This site doesn’t support the ‘features’ command.
COMMAND:> REST 100
350 Restarting at 100. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer.
COMMAND:> REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer.
COMMAND:> CWD /capro.org
550 /capro.org: No such file or directory
ERROR:> Requested action not taken (e.g., file or directory not found, no access).

1. Creating “shell accounts” doesn’t seem to work right. I want a simple shell name of “brian” and it says it’s already in use. That may be caused because I already created a brian @ capro.org email address. But I deleted that email address before trying to create the shell acount.

2. checking email won’t work. brian @ capro.org is my main email address, It’s very important that it be working, so I set it up again. For a while it wouldn’t accep that account in webmail, but now that seems to work. However I’ve setup Outlook according to their instructions and that also will not work. (I think the mXXXXXXX mailbox thing is pretty dumb, but I’m dealing with it)

I’ve submitted tech support requests, but this needs to be working ASAP not whenever they get around to responding to my messages. I’m beginning to think switching to dreamhost was a mistake.

usernames have to be unique across a logical “cluster” of machines. So you can’t have “brian”, because someone already has it - you’d need to pick a different username.

You don’t have to use the mxxxxxxx users - those are just for mailbox-only users. You get a corresponding mail user with any shell / ftp user - so you can just point mail for brian@ to your capro user (or whatever username you want).