Lost wordpress password

wordpress

Hello -

I have lost the password to one of my wordpress sites (www.michelleestherobrien.com). I put in my various emails, and they come up as not valid. I put in my username, and it says to check my email, and no email arrives.

My guess is that I never put in an email address on my wordpress site at all.

I am able to access my dreamhost panel without any difficulty, and see various settings there for my wordpress site.

Is there any way of resetting my wordpress password from within my dreamhost panel? Could a dreamhost administrator reset my wordpress password?

Thanks!

Michelle

You can do this via WP-CLI (which is included on your server).

If you know how to login via SSH, you can type the following command:

That lists all your users and you can see the loginname and the email you associated with it (looks like a typo in there, where you swapped an M for the N in your name).

You can either edit the database to fix that email, or on the command line use this:

Make sure that the 1 is the user ID listed in the wp user list display. That will get you in so you can change your password again to something stronger and fix your email.

Thank you! Unfortunately, I am still trying to figure this out. I have successfully logged in to SSH, and type “wp user list” and get this error: “Error: This does not seem to be a WordPress install. Pass --path=path/to/wordpress or run wp core download.” Which strikes me as meaning I need to get to the right folder where the wordpress files are located. Not understanding this system, I have no idea how to do that. Any links to websites that lay out the basics for me to be able to put this advice to work?
[hr]
It worked! Thank you! I figured it out.

For anyone wondering, you have to run the commands out of the WP folder. In michelle’s case, she was one folder back. So if you have WP installed in ‘root’ of your domain (i.e. I have it on elftest.net), then I would go to /home/myusername/elftest.net to run the command :slight_smile:

And, in case you aren’t aware, you get to a folder in the shell using the “cd” command: