Lost connection to MySQL server

I am a co-webmaster at plus44online.com and our forums have been going slow today and they just gave out not long ago. the owner of the site is out for two weeks.

when trying to get on the forum this comes up.

[quote]Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/.cauw/plus44o/plus44online/boards/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.cauw/plus44o/plus44online/boards/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.cauw/plus44o/plus44online/boards/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database[/quote]
i dont have access to the control panel.

Without the ability to get onto the Control Panel, you won’t be able to submit a support ticket in the traditional way. :frowning:

Do you have FTP/SFTP or shell access to the server?

yes i have FTP access.

In that case, I suggest you check the phpBB directories/files to see if any of them have been changed (particularly the phpbb configuration files that define the the database connection).If it seems that those files have been modified, you can always try replacing them with copies from the .snapshot directories (DH automated backups) from a time before the error presented itself.

If you have confirmed that the database connection information is , in fact, correct and that the site’s files do not appear to have been “hacked”, then there is really little more you can do without “shell” access.

If you are a programmer, you might upload some test scripts to attempt to connect to the database, but I’m not thinking that will provide much more useful information.

It is possible that the database server your site’s forum is being server from is just “down” and needs to be restarted. Hopefully, if that is the case, another user of that machine might report the problem and DH’s fixing that may solve your problem or DH’s monitoring might catch the condition.

As a last resort, you could try posting the detail from your previous two messages here (make sure you include that you are an FTP user, and provide your user name) in a message to DreamHost vis the contact form at http://dreamhost.contact.cgi.

While not as good as a support ticket filed from the panel, it should eventually get to the right place, according to information posted on these forums by DH staff.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

You are welcome, and I hope you can get the forums back “online” soon.

For what it’s worth, I also indicated the nature of your problem (non responsive MySQL server) on the DreamHost Freenode IRC channel, in hopes that maybe a DH admin/support tech might see it and take a look at it. That channel is not a support mechanism, and if they do see it and do anything about it it would just be pure luck, but you never know :wink: .

Woo Hoo! Either you did something, DH caught the problem with their monitoring or a complaint from another user, or some DH staffer on the IRC channel “kicked” the server, because your forums are now “up” any running fine for me! :slight_smile: