Looking to switch

I am looking for a new webhosting company. My “site” is pretty much only used to share photos with friends and family, and for e-mails. No scripting, no databases, no publicity wanted or needed.

I already have a domain name registered with Network Solutions that I would also like to transfer to whomever I get webhosting from. I am strongly considering DreamHost, but before I begin the process I wanted to find out what the least painful way to switch would be. I am concerned about dropped e-mails, problems with my current company (who seem pretty flaky and unprofessional, hence the switch), switching the domain over etc. Any advice? Thanks.

welcome to DH first!

you do not have to trasnfer the domain to DH. You can just simply host the domain in DH by setting up the DNS.

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

you may want to refer to this article http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Domains/Transfers/_Transfer_Hosting

It takes some time for the DNS change to propagate in the server. It could be around 72 hours.

If you want to tranfer to domain to DH, you can refer to this article http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Domains/Transfers/_Transfer_Registration

After you have an account in DH, you can install Gallery simply by one click. It is useful to manage your photos.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

This should cover it (long, sorry):

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Transfer_your_site_to_us

Truth in advertising

See the worst problems: dreamhoststatus.com

See if the “professionalism” fits your standards:

blog.dreamhosters.com

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Thanks! I think I want to have my hosting and registration in one place to keep it easy.

You can do that. It will be easier for you to manage your site.

It may take some time during the transferring. But once it is done, it is clear. :wink:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

You can actually arrange the transfer during the sign-up procedure, just select the “I already own a domain, I want to host it AND transfer the registration for free!” option. When you transfer the domain to DreamHost, the registration will be extended by 1 year, the cost of doing this ($9.95) will be covered by the ‘free’ domain that comes with any hosting plan.

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Thanks! I’ve glanced at all the links you helpful people have provided. I guess what I need to do is keep everything going with my current provider while I register and move stuff over…overlapping service for a week or so.

That is probably a good idea, you can always cancel the other service once things have settled here at DreamHost.

The time required to transfer a domain registration can vary quite a bit, in my experience it is mostly determined by the speed your previous registrar responds to the request.

One thing, it might pay to confirm that the contact email address for the domain is correct before initiating the transfer. Also, you will probably need the domain ‘auth code’ for the transfer, you should be able to obtain this from your previous registrar.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)