Looking at Dreamhost

Hello all.

I’m Psyren, a current host at Elixant.com (a recently closed-down web host); who’s looking for a possible new place to have my site hosted at.

Elixant had a very flexible plan, where I could pay 4 times a year (for around $11.20 each time), a free domain name, and double bandwidth for the entire time I choose to be hosted there.

Since the site however is no longer really running, I feel that I might need to choose to move and soon. I have a few friends hosted here and wanted to know what this site might be able to do for a refugee from a closing/closed hosting site.

Anyways, I’ll be around as long as the weather is good (or I choose to head to bed), so any help would be lovely.

Thanks again!

They made a special offer for registerfly refugee.
But there are down hosting everyday…

however the first year is pretty cheap with a discount code.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

Well, with all the $97 promo codes there are, you can get 1 whole year at Dreamhost for $22.40.

But after that, you can’t use the code and would have to pay the normal price, which is more than what you were paying. What you were paying could even by why they’re no longer in business?

Anyway, if you were to switch to the cheapest monthly plan after your first year, you’d be looking at $9.95/month. The cheapest would be $7.95/month, but you’d have to pre-pay for two years.

You could always give it a shot. With year 1 being $22.40, it gives you plenty of money to put aside for a 2-year prepayment to get the lowest rate.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Yeah, I think Registerfly was an extreme failure that triggered sympathy from just about everyone, including Dreamhost.

A host failing isn’t really news, though. Now, if a host lasts past 1 year… that’s news! :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).

if you do decide to sign-up with DreamHost, I would suggest contacting one of your friends and having them create a custom promo code for you.

DreamHost promo codes can provide more than just a simple once-only cash discount, they can also provide feature bonuses, such as extra disk space and/or bandwidth, extra free domain registrations (on top of the one free lifetime registration provided with all plans) or unique IP addresses. These feature bonuses persist for as long as you host with DreamHost, so it is definitely worth sitting down with one of your friends and deciding exactly what combination of cash discount / feature bonuses would be most beneficial for you over the long-term.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

How exactly would I go about doing that? I mean, they’re hosted with Dreamhost but I dunno how to even go about getting a code like that set up?

Would anyone be willing to work with me and try to help me create a promo code? I dunno when I’ll be able to next contact my friend and would want to move as soon as I could, if possible.

Well, if you have a friend and use theirs, then they’ll get the credit for you signing up. If you use the full $97, then he won’t actually get anything unless you refer people–then he’ll get $5 each.

If money is your main concern, then $97 is probably the way to go. That’s how you get the 1st year for $22.40. The more features you use, the less you save at time of sign-up.

Out of that $97, you can subtract the following amounts for adding features:

Unique IPs: $30 each
Free Domain Registrations: $15 each
Added Bandwidth: $9 per 10% increase
Added Diskspace: $9 per 10% increase

So a code can be created with any combo of cash & features, up to $97 total.

Hmm…since I don’t know when she’ll be online next…I’d probably just use a new code like the one you mentioned etc.

There is a code to get a free domain name, correct? Would I be able to use that to keep my current free domain name from Elixant?

You already get a free domain registration with all plans, so you can use that and still use the $97 code for max savings.

If you have a look around the forum you will find quite a few promo codes that offer a combination of features and cash discounts. If you can’t find one that exactly meets your needs, then I’m sure someone here will be able to create one specifically for you. :wink:

You will receive one ‘free’ domain registration with your DreamHost plan, regardless of the promo code you use, this is a standard feature of all DreamHost plans. During the sign-up process you can choose to use this ‘free’ domain registration to transfer your existing domain from Elixant and the registration period will be extended by 12 months as part of the process.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Hmm…now to figure out what I want to do…It’s not like I hate or dislike my old host. I’m just not sure how much longer it’ll be up. >_<

Any DreamHost hosting plan will get you one free domain registration. You only need a special promo code if you want more than one free. Each extra free one takes off $15 from the discount you can get, but that free registration is worth $9.95 every year.

Are you that anxious that you wouldn’t want to wait for your friend? I’m sure she could have some very good observations about hosting here.

What kind of web applications were you looking to host? DreamHost is a great place to host, but there are certain things that will get you in trouble here (but nothing that most people host, admittedly) - like applications that eat up lots of cpu.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Well, nothing hurts more than having your site down (other than having it lost).

Is it just a personal site or do you derive any income from it? Do many people depend on it for communication?

The transition is easier if your old site is still up.

Make sure to get a backup now if you’re worried about the host going down!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

If you’re getting those feelings, it’s probably time to bail.

If nothing else, keep very current backups of your own, ready to upload to a new host when things go wrong.

It’s definitely better to do it on your own schedule, instead of theirs.

Yeah, I know. She’s actually just someone who I asked to host my site on dreamhost (through her hosting plan) but she politely turned me down.

My site is midnightwaters.net (currently) and hosts my own personal stuff (mostly .mp3 files for voice acting), and both a friends’ webcomic (catch-exception.midnightwaters.net) and eventually, a TCG that I own and run (currently at flyne.net/nibelheim), so the majority of it is just small stuff.

Though I’d admittedly would like to add a forum and maybe some useful features for my TCG later on

It looks like that domain name is in your host’s name. I’d get that changed right away.

Even if you put off the hosting, make sure the domain registration is in your full control.

Do note that you will only receive $50.00 discount if you sign up Monthly L1, $60.00 discount if you sign up Monthly L2 and $80.00 discount if you sign up Monthly L3 instead of the original $97.00 from the promotional code. Perhaps you should go for the feature bonus promotional code for a better deal if you are paying monthly.

Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes

Basically, I’d just write to them to request that they put my name in the domain’s owner control, correct?

Also…maybe I just can’t exactly tell but…about how much space, bandwidth, etc are in each plan? I have to admit I’ve had a bit of trouble deciding which plan might be best for me overall.

I currently have 500GB and 4GB bandwidth each month on my current plan and 10 subdomain accounts (with cPanel).

Again, all this help is very appreciated!

I’d get the basic L1 plan. You can always upgrade later if you find you need the extra allowances.

Well, the owner should be you. You can’t transfer the domain anywhere, unless your email is listed. You can see the current contact info here.

I’d start by emailing your host and asking them what their procedure is. Personally, I don’t like it when hosts put it in their name (Dreamhost doesn’t–it will be in your name here).

Unless, of course, they gave you login info for a control panel where you can change the info yourself… then you’d have no need to contact them. Just update it.