Longest downtime?

I am currently having very serious issues with my current web hosting company. It’s a ‘budget’ host, though a lot cheaper than DH. Anyway, what is the longest span of downtime any of you have experienced? The server I am on at my host has been down for almost 6 days straight. Perhaps I am crazy for finding this unacceptable?

Well, my longest downtime was about 8 hours. Apparently, DreamHost’s main router took a dive and dragged everything down with it. But, it happened at about 6PM Pacific and was fixed by 2AM. Since they worked through the night on it, and since it was one of those hardware problems that you just can’t predict, I can easily forgive them.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

6 days? Jebus!

Unless they had a hurricane or some other natural disaster and lost everything then no; it’s not unreasonable for you to find that unacceptable. Have they given you any messages such as an “emergency status page”? I know that here at DH they have one of those in case of a big emergency.

6 days?! I would have left after 72 hours for sure. The most extended downtime for me here was about 12 hours, and to be honest, I was already crazy. Anything more than 24 hours will DEFINITELY affect MY business. But to be fair, I only experienced 2 serious downtime over a span of 5 years here; and the second one is even shorter.

GungHost.com :: DreamServers.net :: DreamRegistrar.com

No, they have no emergency page. This isn’t the first time I’ve been without service for multiple days either. In fact, earlier this year, they moved my account to another server without telling me. What’s worse, is that the tech who moved my account apparently didn’t mention it to anyone else. I thought I lost all of my data. So did everyone at the hosting company. Turns out that although they moved my account and data, they forgot to update the DNS records.

This current instance they say is due to a DDOS attack. I simply refuse to believe that it would take almost a week to ‘fix’ that. I don’t even know if I can trust that a DDOS is the culprit.

I am seeing people on this forum crapping their pants over not getting a technical support response in 26 hours, and just wanted some horror stories that mattered, or at least worst case scenarios. I’m not picky or too demanding. I just want to be able to access my data/mail with some level of reliability. And if I can’t get it, I just want to know why and when.

I’m complaining about this because the host I’m at now will remove messages from it’s forum that allude to it’s shortcomings. DH doesn’t do this, and immediately gets to the top of the list. :slight_smile:

I’ve been using DH since 1997. They’ve had two bigger outtages. The last was about a year ago and the result of a DoS attack. They say they have beefed up their hardware and a more recent DoS attack wasn’t as effective in bringing DH to its knees.

They were down intermittently for a few hours here and there.

When one makes a support request, they can set the severity. I’ve had lower severity requests posted first get answered after higher severity requests made later.

they have an emergency downtime page

http://status.dreamhost.com/

<<Well, my longest downtime was about 8 hours. Apparently, DreamHost’s main router took a dive and dragged everything down with it. But, it happened at about 6PM Pacific and was fixed by 2AM. Since they worked through the night on it, and since it was one of those hardware problems that you just can’t predict, I can easily forgive them.>>

Forgive them??? Maybe this is a east coast-left coast thing, but I really fail to understand what there is to forgive them for?? Because they worked through the night to fix their own business product that WE pay for?? I think that is rather amusing. Would you still feel that way if you knew DH was netting about $2M a month and cutting support staff??…it amazes me how easily some people can be bought (referral bonuses)…companies that excel and have superior products do not need to pay people for their support…just an opinion, but it truly amazes me how many DH subscribers attribute human characteristics to this web hosting provider…a web hosting provider that most have never even spoken to in their lives…very confusing

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

The longest any of my sites have been down is right around 7 hours…but, i am speaking of actual server outage, i am not speaking of the slew of formmail breakdowns, email/MY SQL outtages, and rather slow caching as of late…For shared hosting, it is no worse than many others out there.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Witsend…check out the validation of your site, this could help you out.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://NORTHWOOD-REAL-ESTATE-REALITY-SERVICES-PITTSBURGH-PA-REALTY.COM/

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.OpenSunday1-4.com/

I went no further. But some of these could definitely hack your site up. If you need help, just let me know.

Barbara

BTW, I know absolutely nothing about frontpage, but am handy at html. And, formmail too!

gone,

i definitely will do so and many thanks for your fantastic ideas :slight_smile:

btw, i might take you up on the .html and formmail offers :smiley:

thanks again and i’ll let you know how they turn out :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

[/quote]

We don’t pay for 100% uptime. The only 100% uptime hosting companies I know of charge a premium and only guarantee uptime to the rack - so network and power. The customer has to provide a firewall, router, machines…

We pay for the features listed when we agreed to DH’s TOS. 100% uptime isn’t one of those. If/when DH doesn’t live up to their agreement, then I am not very pleased with them. But that is few and far between. And the only time that happened was just with human error and not through maliciousness. Did DH get an ear full of it from me? Yes. Did I get over it? Yes.

When you find a host that provides precognitive visions for hardware failures, let me know.

If you would take the time to actually research for once rather than just shoot off your mouth like an uneducated drone from a bad 1984 spin-off, you’d notice that DreamHost has hired at least two additional support representatives. They’re obviously not cutting any support staff.

MacManX.com

[quote]but it truly amazes me how many DH subscribers attribute human characteristics to this web hosting provider…a web hosting provider that most have never even spoken to in their lives…very confusing

[/quote]

I can’t speak for others, but during my 5 years with DreamHost, I come to learn that they do have some really nice human staff (not robots). Never spoken to anyone in person though, but from numerous correspondence and interaction, they truly show their better side, both as good customer support people and as decent and friendly human beings. This is the long term relationship that I treasure; and I honestly hope that even with the current problems (not affecting me in any significant sense though, and touch wood), DreamHost would continue with that.

GungHost.com :: DreamServers.net :: DreamRegistrar.com

Macmanx,

First off i want to tell ya that i really do like your site and admire your work on it :slight_smile:

…that being said, i want to clarify the context of our debate:

your comment: <When you find a host that provides precognitive visions for hardware failures, let me know.>

and it was you who called me a smart ass not even a few posts back in this thread…seriously though, DH is a webhosting provider, a professional service at that (one in which WE pay for), what part of my comment illicited your response? Was it because that I said that it was their business to keep their servers running?? It would be mighty difficult for a webhost service to keep paying the bills if they didnt keep their servers running. My guess is that if they would routinely allow their service to go completely down for hours at a time, even during non-peak hours, I would assume they would need to find another field to go into, because they would lose most (even the DH zealots) of their client base.

Lastly, I believe you omitted the key part of my second statement, that being the word “”

<If you would take the time to actually research for once rather than just shoot off your mouth like an uneducated drone from a bad 1984 spin-off, you’d notice that DreamHost has hired at least two additional support representatives. They’re obviously not cutting any support staff.>

First off, just the mere fact that i do not concur with your observations and the observations of some others would negate your drone statement by mere definition. I do not believe you are qualified to characterize me as uneducated and that comment was completely uncalled for; not to mention very rude. Lastly, how would i have “noticed” that DreamHost has hired at least two more support people? I do not even know the physical address of where DreamHost is located. Do you? I know of a PO Box where billing can be sent to and I am educated enough to cypher that generally servers cannot fit into PO Boxes and even if they could, i doubt support personnel would be able to fit in there as well<<<my “smart ass” comment

What I am attempting to explain to you in my uneducated garble, is that you do not know the inner workings of DH, such as i dont. How do you know that they weren’t laying off support people and that is why the support que grew to such heights? You don’t know that for sure, just as i don’t. One quick analysis at their recent business module would actually indicate that they may be suffering a bit money wise. Companies that increase finder fees exorbinantly and who make considerable changes to their product, are often the marks of companies that are in trouble. Now let me say this, I don’t know that DH is in trouble as explained before, but, companies that are doing fiscally well would not increase their finders fee. Why would they? Why would they triple their bandwith offerings or double their disk space? One could say that this is due to competition. This is probably the case, but, who knows? Last I checked, DH is not publicly traded. I am sure DH’s bank knows and most of the staff generally know, but clients are rarely privied to that level of information. Maybe you do know…i don’t.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<We don’t pay for 100% uptime. The only 100% uptime hosting companies I know of charge a premium and only guarantee uptime to the rack - so network and power. The customer has to provide a firewall, router, machines…>

snok,

with all due respect, i never said that i expect 100% uptime, there isnt a webhost out there that is up 100% of the time. My statement was:

<Because they worked through the night to fix their own business product that WE pay for??>

What part of that is a lie? Let’s say DH all of a sudden decided to take their servers off line every night during non-peak hours? How much of a client base do you think they would be left with?

Without US, DreamHost cannot exist…they have outstanding loans on hardware, and believe me the bank would not accept a business module from a webhost provider that would allow their servers to go offline during non peak hours. It wouldnt happen. That is a fact. I stick by the FACT, that it is their responsibility to bring their hardware functional ASAP, no matter the time of day or night - that is a generally accepted principle with ALL HOSTS. I am not a rookie by any means, i have had sites hosted out there for the better half of 10 years and this is hardly my first hosting experience. Fact is fact, while some of you have had very positive experiences, I have not.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<I can’t speak for others, but during my 5 years with DreamHost, I come to learn that they do have some really nice human staff (not robots). Never spoken to anyone in person though, but from numerous correspondence and interaction, they truly show their better side, both as good customer support people and as decent and friendly human beings. This is the long term relationship that I treasure; and I honestly hope that even with the current problems (not affecting me in any significant sense though, and touch wood), DreamHost would continue with that.>

Well said, pruf!

I dont want to see DH fail, I just want them to get better and possibly get back to where they once were. Btw, i have spoken to a few support folks on the phone and although they weren’t always able to fix the problem, they were very nice about it. If only clients were soo understanding :wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

DreamHost has hired at least 2 new support representatives and is still looking for more.

Sorry about the “drone” comment, but you have been one festering boil of negativity.

MacManX.com

wow,

i’ve never been referred to as a festering boil before :slight_smile:

and btw, apology accepted.

seriously though, even though i have moved my things over to 1and1, i still long to comeback to DH (thats why i keep them as my backup)…someday they will return to glory, and I’ll be first in line to return when that happens :slight_smile: Truth is, if it wasn’t for some god awful clients of mine, i wouldn’t have had to make the move in the first place

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Well, I just chose “festering” because you keep brining this up, and “boil” because nothing goes else goes with “festering”. It’s all in good fun. I’m glad you’re settling down now. You are, right?

MacManX.com