Long text problem

wordpress

Hello,

I just registered at dreamhost. But I have a “big” problem. I cant upload big text files if I try to post a new news.after a while it shows just a blank site ;(

Is this a dreamhost problem?

How “big” a text file are you trying to upload, and what do you mean “after a while it just shows a blank site”? Are you saying it shows for a while and then only shows “a blank site”? Is any part of your site displaying on the web? What is the url to your site?

Are you sure you are uploading to the correct directory in your user space? You should be uploading to a web accessible directory - uploading to your user directory will not produce pages that you can see on the web. :wink:

It is possible that it is a DreamHost problem, but it is also possible that you just need to do things differently than you are used to doing them. :wink:

–rlparker

Uh ehm I mean over the website with the famous drupal ^^ I tested it on my old site. The text show up…

www.united-regions.org/drupal just a test oO wanted to test the speed of qry and so… So i tried to copy a big text from wikipedia( the usa one *g ) But I i try to post it ( on guestbook or as a blog) It loads and loads and loads and then stops and show a white page/ empty I read about a process killer… but if it kills process with text uploading something is really wrong ;(

AH! Drupal! Well, there are several reasons why you might be having problems with huge “cut’n’paste” operations with Drupal (which runs under PHP).

You did not answer “how big” so I can’t be sure if these are, in fact, the reasons you are having problems but:

1. Sure, it could be the process killer, if a process is consuming too much memory, or taking to long to execute.

2. It could also be one of several PHP settings, that will kick in even before the process killer is likely to:

max_execution_time 30
max_input_time 60
memory_limit 90M (not likely, but drupal itself uses a LOT of memory
… and possibly others.

1. It could also be something Drupal related (are you using the same version of Drupal here as you were using before?

Yeah… that is a huge “page” - when I tried it in Joomla! 1.5.1, I got the php error message "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in … " - which supports what I said above in point 2.

You can change that, to some degree, if you want by installing your own PHP or customizing you php.ini, but I don’t recommend it - you will still run up against the proc killer at some point.

If it were me, I’d just do it in smaller chunks…well, actually, if it were me, I’d never create a single piece of content that large anyway - that’s what downloads are for, IMHO :wink:

–rlparker

Oh yes I tested it the “quick” install on wordpress, here it works. Strange thing with drupal. Maybe dreamhost writes a “plugin” to the process killer which checks md5 hash of a file if it is drupal? Just an idea oO

Just tested it with joomla. Same problem here ;(

Yeah … those javascript WYSIWYG editors, and all the filtering Joomla! (and Drupal) does, make cut’n’paste with that much content problematic - WordPress handles it a little more graciously. :wink:

–rlparker

So there is no solution for this problem and there will be never a solution for this? Damn I mean allow running of scripts to 60 seconds wouldn’t hurt much! ;( And would fix many problems with drupal joomla and ruby or I am wrong?

Well sure, there are potential solutions, and I mentioned some of them in my earlier posts (Modify the PHP settings, Copy’n’paste in smaller chunks, use different software). :wink:

You could also build content pages offline (using your computer’s resources), put them up with ftp, and them include them in your Drupal/Joomla!/whatever via PHP include statements or ssi.

I’m not in favor of extending execution time of PHP scripts to 60 seconds on a shared webserver - a webserver’s job is to serve pages, not conduct general purpose data processing.

I believe people should be respectful of RAM and CPU resources on a shared server so that all can use the machine productively.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see this as a major issue at all. There are so many alternate ways to “scrape” another site’s content other than a “cut’n’paste” of huge chunks of others’ work via an “online editing environment” in a CMS (if you want to do such a thing).

Besides, the web is all about links - if you want that much of the content from another site, just link to it (or mirror it, if allowed); “republishing” it verbatim is just pointless, IMHO. :wink:

That said, if you want to do it there are plenty of “solutions for this problem” - including a DreamHost PS server where you can reserve machine resources for you own use, or a dedicated server where you can let processes run as long as you like.

You can also doink around with your php.ini settings to extend some of those limitations until you reach the point where the proc killer kicks in - and then live with the results, or find another way to do it.

I understand that the proc killer may be frustrating at times, but it is entirely necessary for a shared server where many users are not conscience of, respectful or, or knowledgeable about the use of machine resources. Without it standing watch, any idiot on your server could monopolize it’s processing abilities, and/or overload it, to the point where neither you nor anyone else on your server could load a page. This is part of being on a shared server; if it is too restrictive for your needs, then a vserver or a dedicated server is probably best for you. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

The process killer is not a bad idea at all. It bounds you to use “good” scripts. But if leading “project” standards are nearly to useless. ( RoR, joomla, drupal… ) It should be a question of marketing strategies if this is the right way. There are many solutions for this problem. ( better hardware better software, better structure … ) So the way is: keep those problems, or evolve…

Don´t understand me wrong, I like dreamhost. That´s why I choosed it :wink: But not able to use a CMS to manage content over web. Is like selling a car without sits. Sure you could by pass the problem. But that´s not the way how they drive :wink:

I think it’s more a matter of choosing the appropriate tool for the job. Joomla!, WordPress, and Drupal all work well on DreamHost. I use them all, but they are not the best way to “copy’n’paste” massive amounts of text and graphics into a webpage - that is not what they were designed to do.

You can use them that way, but you need a sufficiently powerful server environment to do that - the bigger the manipulated content, the more ram and CPU you will need. At some point, you will need more that what you are allowed on a shared host to do certain things certain ways. :wink:

I use CMS systems on DreamHost’s shared servers all the time, but I don’t use them in inappropriate ways.

To use your own analogy, what you are trying to do with the USA page and Drupal with a shared server’s resource allotment (in this case, the execution time) would not be like trying to drive a car with no seats … it would be like trying to squeeze an elephant into the passenger seat of a mini-cooper.

The fact that the elephant won’t fit in that seat is not the mini-cooper’s fault - the mini-cooper was not designed to carry an elephant. To complain that the elephant won’t fit, and say that it should, instead if just getting a trailer to pull behind the mini-cooper to carry the elephant (a work-around for your lack of resources) is silly. :wink:

–rlparker

Ok i quit dreamhost. I could not post a news with just 600 words,plain text! It just one site in pspad. I read about a blog about quitting costumers. Maybe they quit cause of this problem?

Just a dream…

Good luck with your endeavors!

–rlparker

[quote]I think it’s more a matter of choosing the appropriate tool for the job. Joomla!, WordPress, and Drupal all work well on DreamHost. I use them all, but they are not the best way to “copy’n’paste” massive amounts of text and graphics into a webpage - that is not what they were designed to do.

You can use them that way, but you need a sufficiently powerful server environment to do that - the bigger the manipulated content, the more ram and CPU you will need. At some point, you will need more that what you are allowed on a shared host to do certain things certain ways.[/quote]
Precisely.

To accomplish manipulations such as that huge copy/paste mentioned the best solution (given a shared environment) would be to do the insertion locally by running XAMPP and having your CMS mirrored on your PC, that way you can have the full resources of your own machine doing the work. You could either setup so it’s hooked straight into your online database or import the local database to your online presence after it’s done crunching the data.

^ For future reference, considering the OP has departed :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH