Local gem installation (rails)

After following instruction on the creation of $HOME/gems, .gemrc, new environment variables, the necessity of sometimes remove source_cache directory, I still cannot install gems in my local directory, and Dreamhost has not responded to my request to install two gems for me (youtube and hpricot). I did:

gem install youtube --debug

and here is the result:

Exception Errno::ENOENT' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:1016 - No such file or directory - /home/erlebach/gems/source_cache ExceptionArgumentError’ at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_info_cache.rb:71 - marshal data too short
Exception ArgumentError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_info_cache.rb:71 - marshal data too short ExceptionLoadError’ at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such file to load – Win32API
Exception `LoadError’ at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34 - no such file to load – Win32API

gem env
RubyGems Environment:

• VERSION: 0.9.2 (0.9.2)
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /home/erlebach/gems
  • /home/erlebach/gems
  • /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • http://gems.rubyforge.org

Needless to say, I am completely stuck until this is resolved, either by dreamhost installing the gems, or figuring out my problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gordon Erlebacher
School of Computational Science
Florida State University
Tallahassee, Florida