Load averages

[coke]$ uptime
04:53:41 up 7:13, 2 users, load average: 80.56, 58.12, 36.7

no wonder why the site is not accessible.

ouch

If the load persists, lodge a support ticket, if you haven’t already done so, so that they can look into it. It may be that someone on your server is running a mis-behaved script.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

you are right, its caused by someones scripts. it happens a couple of times a day and thanks god there is some process monitor running on coke which kills “bad” processes.

however the response from support was strange - “this is shared environment, so the things are going to be this way”.

bye

I’d contact support again. If this is happening on a regular basis it’s not normal. Some downtime now and again is to be expected on shared hosing, but not on a regular basis.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Most agreed.
I contacted support for a different reason not long ago, making mention of some moderately high loads (despite that not being my concern at all), and they took care of it even then.
Quite a good deal :slight_smile:

Yes, we have people working on web server stability full time. I have brought this to the attention of the stability team and the support lead for the above tech. Many times the fix is as easy as stopping some comment spam or getting an over zealous search engine bot under control. Sorry for the bad reply.