List of mailboxes

Where on the Panel can I find a complete list of my plan’s mailboxes? Not “Mailboxes” (removed in the reorg earlier this year) or “Email Addresses” (incomplete) for sure. Thanks.

Actually the Mailboxes tab
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.addresses&
does indeed show the list of mailboxes on your plan: If you have several domains, make sure they’re all selected in the “Show these domains” list and click “show”. Then you’ll see two lists. The first shows all addresses that have a mailboxes; the second shows other addresses that don’t have a mailbox. For each true mailbox address (first list), there’s also listed the mailbox name and login, as well as space used and available.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

[quote]Actually the Mailboxes tab

[/quote]

There is no “Mailboxes tab” - sadly the Mailboxes page was a casualty of the reorg.

[quote]https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.addresses&
does indeed show the list of mailboxes on your plan

[/quote]

Thanks, but you are mistaken. I have mailboxes confirmed by POP3 that are not in this page. And not just those left over from the big remapping mess-up of the last reorg, but at least one that got orphaned just this week.

[quote]If you have several domains, make sure they’re all selected in the “Show these domains” list

[/quote]

Done that.

[quote]Then you’ll see two lists. The first shows all addresses that have a mailboxes;

[/quote]

I.e. addresses.

[quote]the second shows other addresses

[/quote]

I.e. addresses. Address != mailbox .

Going under the ‘mail’ tab in the panel and clicking on ‘addresses’ works for me.

As it would for me, if all my mailboxes where associated with addresses. They are not.

You’ve explained that you have mailboxes that don’t have addresses associated, and therefore they’re not listed in the web panel. We can’t solve this on the forum. Have you already written to Support about these non-address-mailboxes? Otherwise you should do that.

TorbenGB

[quote]We can’t solve this on the forum.

[/quote]

Uh? Could you explain why not? I would be useful to know for the future if there are issues that Support is not prepared to handle here.

[quote]Have you already written to Support about these non-address-mailboxes?

[/quote]

Yes. Andrea of Support told me “The new email setup system introduces 1to1 mapping between mailboxes and email aliases” (which the existence of forwarding-only addresses shows to be untrue) and I replied that regardless I have no-alias mailboxes not appearing under Mail > Addresses.

I got no reply. Since she also wrote “Sorry, we are in the process of creating the new instructions.” I waited for these and asked again, but I still can’t find them. That was four months ago. Are these instructions yet available?

[quote]We can’t solve this on the forum.

[quote]Why not?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Because this bug is something we as ordinary users can’t fix. It seems to me that there’s some server hacking needed to get your mailboxes linked with addresses.

Don’t expect that DH Support is reading this forum. Yes, DH is also participating, but the forum is for discussions. If you need help specifically from DH, then you still need to ask Support for this.

It seems your Support history with this issue is not very good. If you haven’t acted on this for four months then it’s time to get in touch with Support again. I hope that if you contact them again now (and point to this discussion as background information if you like), they would be able to help you.

TorbenGB

[quote]It seems to me that there’s some server hacking needed to get your mailboxes linked with addresses.

[/quote]

I’[m asking only to see the mailboxes, not get them linked to addresses.

[quote]Don’t expect that DH Support is reading this forum.

[/quote]

Ah, my mistake - I did expect. Thanks.

[quote]I hope that if you contact them again now (and point to this discussion as
background information if you like), they would be able to help you.

[/quote]

Me too. I’ll write to them again.

Thanks Torben.

Ah, my mistake - I did expect. Thanks.
[/quote]

Then I understand your earlier comments.

[quote]I’m asking only to see the mailboxes, not get them linked to addresses.
[/quote]

Okay, so each mailbox has-or-should-have an address that is not already listed in your address list, right? You should ask Support to create these addresses and link them to your hidden mailboxes - then they will appear on the Addresses tab as expected. (Be sure to tell them which address is for which mailbox!)

[quote]Thanks Torben.
[/quote]

My pleasure.

TorbenGB

[quote]Okay, so each mailbox has-or-should-have an address that is not already listed in your address list,
right?

[/quote]

I can’t say, because I don’t know that every mailbox “should” have an address. I recall three circumstances that generated addressless mailboxes. Whether they are bugs, I don’t know. Especially in the absense of current documentation.

For example, last week, after viewing mailbox chrisjjbackup and browser-Back-ing to mailbox chrisjj, I changed the settings for mailbox chrisjj@ and I got, to my horror:

Successfully edited chrisjjbackup@chrisjj.com!

IMPORTANT! Because chrisjj@chrisjj.com already existed we overwrote it, but
we saved its old settings in chrisjjbackup@chrisjj.com!

What on earth this means I don’t know, but the settings for chrisjjbackup@chrisjj.com had been
erroneously overwritten with the settings for chrisjj@chrisjj.com, and the chrisjj@ mailbox is now lost from the “Edit Addresses” list. But still exists at POP3. Oh, and all its messages were vaped!

[quote]You should ask Support to create these addresses and link them to
your hidden mailboxes - then they will appear on the Addresses tab as expected.

[/quote]

Uh, surely that’s not the way things are supposed to work. I expect to get control from the Panel. As I did just fine, before the reorganisation at the start of the year that lost the “Mailboxes” page.

[quote]…and browser-Back-ing to…
[/quote]

I’ve made serious mistakes with this, too. Learn this and avoid serious mistakes: never use the browser’s back button while working with the DH Web Panel!!

[quote]all its messages were vaped!
[/quote]

Fear not, the messages are still there, but not linked to this address.

You definitely need DH Support to untangle this for you. To help them, do this:
1 Stop making any further changes.
2 Write a list of the changes you’ve made recently. Try to get all changes on the list, and try to get it in the right chronological order. Include all the relevant details like addresses, POP3 mailbox names, etc.
3 Also write a list of the setup you wish to have.
4 Write a detailed inquiry to Support and include your lists. This list will help them to undo the right things in the right order so you end up with what you want.

[quote]I expect to get control from the Panel.
[/quote]

Yes, under normal circumstances, this is true. But in your case some things are messed up and you can’t recover this through the panel. Remember, the panel is really just a very clever collection of scripts that alter some server settings. If a glitch like yours occurs, then you can’t be sure that the panel actually edits the right things - and then things become colorful.
But under normal circumstances, the panel does a very good job. Unless you use the back button. And unless there is a glitch somewhere.

TorbenGB

[quote]never use the browser’s back button while working with the DH Web Panel!!

[/quote]

Uh? I’ve seen no such warning anywhere in the docs, or elsewhere here. And the Panel’s failure wasn’t typical of that of the usual crappy Back-unsafe web app, e.g. it responded specifically to the circumstance, saying:

IMPORTANT! Because chrisjj@chrisjj.com already existed we overwrote it, but
we saved its old settings in chrisjjbackup@chrisjj.com!

I’m not saying I think you’re wrong Torben, just that I’m surprised and disappointed, and would like some verification in the Panel is back-unsafe. Particularly since that means it is probably unsafe w.r.t bookmarks, multiple windows etc.

Fear not, the messages are still there, but not linked to this address.

[/quote]

No, they are not. POP3 and Webmail showed the mailbox was completely empty.

[quote]You definitely need DH Support to untangle this for you.

[/quote]

I’ve received an email from Josh that is constructive, so perhaps I will see progress on my variousm problems now.

[quote]4 Write a detailed inquiry to Support and include your lists. This list will help them to
undo the right things in the right order so you end up with what you want.

[/quote]

Well frankly I don’t want Support to kluge it. These problems are recurring, so I need to know how to make the workarounds myself.

Yes, under normal circumstances, this is true. But in your case some things are messed up
the panel does a very good job. … And unless there is a glitch somewhere.

[/quote]

Well yes. The problem being I am experiencing many glitches. And I can’t believe I am the only one. I do hope I’m not going to find out that it’s just I’m the only one that isn’t resigned to them. If there’s a list of known issues like the Back-unsafety, do please let me know.

Thanks again Torben.

Uh? I’ve seen no such warning anywhere in the docs, or elsewhere here.
I’m not saying I think you’re wrong Torben, just that I’m surprised and disappointed

[/quote]

I agree fully with your “uh?” because most of the time the panel works well with back/forward and even with Mozilla tabbed browsing. But there ARE some situations when exactly that will mess up the setup - changing and deleting certain items included. I had the same reaction you have now, and I could not get any detailed information and DH will not change the panel to resolve this because it would be a tremendous amount of work for rather little result. I don’t blame them, but it does have consequences now and then.

No, they are not. POP3 and Webmail showed the mailbox was completely empty.

[/quote]

Hmm. I think that even the mail folders are included in the automatic backups, so with a little luck the DH guys could help you out with this too.
One comment though: When you get mail via POP3, then you actually remove the mails from the server (unless you specifically selected to retain a copy on the server). If you use IMAP, then you don’t remove the mails from the server. You’re aware of these things, right?

TorbenGB

[quote]Hmm. I think that even the mail folders are included in the automatic backups,
so with a little luck the DH guys could help you out with this too.

[/quote]

No doubt… if they’d acted in a timely manner after my immediate report of the loss), but by the time a few days had passed on escalation, the only backups they could find were three days stale, and didn’t cover the period of the outage.

I’m checking out .snapshot backups so I can do my own restore next time.

[quote]One comment though: When you get mail via POP3, then you actually remove the mails from the
server (unless you specifically selected to retain a copy on the server).

[/quote]

I have so elected, so to keep the messages available to webmail when I’m away from the offline client.

Thanks, Torben.

In case anyone else is interested, with Support’s help I found the answer to

[quote]Where on the Panel can I find a complete list of my plan’s mailboxes?

[/quote]

It is “In general you can’t, but the /most/ complete list is that under Mail > Filters and Spam. You can ask Support to add any that are missing.”