Link to files after uploading?

Hello, I cant figure out how to link to anything that I have hosted with my DreamHost account.

I have a website hosted with a different company, but I use DreamHost to host files. I want to link to my Dreamhost files on my website, but I cant seem to find an address to link too. I have tried right-clicking and copying the link location, but it doesnt seem to be working.

For example, on my website I would want something that said “click here to view PDF” and then have a link that goes to a PDF file on my DreamHost account. How do I do that?

You’ll need to create a Fully Hosted domain in the Panel under Domains->Manage Domains. Since your main site is hosted elsewhere, you can create a Dreamhosters site, like example.dreamhosters.com.

Then you’ll get that folder in your home directory and you can start dropping your files into there. The file will be available at http://example.dreamhosters.com/mydocument.pdf

If you don’t want people to get a directory listing of all of your files, you’ll need to add a .htaccess file to turn off indexing (add a line that says: Options -Indexes).

-Scott