LimitInternalRecursion, .htaccess and rewritting e

Hello everyone,

I am creating my first application based on Zend Framework. I have managed to create my own version of php.ini, I have included my library paths, and created a folder structure as follows:

domain
__cgi-bin
__data
__htdocs
__include
__Controllers
__Smarty
__Templater
__templates

When I was first testing my own copy of php.ini, my domain was pointing to domain.com, so in order to execute my files I had to access domain.com/htdocs/index.php

In the htdocs folder, I have this bootstrap file (.htaccess):

Options +ExecCGI AddHandler php5-cgi .php Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php-wrapper.cgi Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php-wrapper.cgi Options +FollowSymLinks RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/.$ - [PT]
RewriteCond $1 !^cgi-bin/.
$ [NC]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(stats/|missing.html|failed_auth.html|error/).* [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [L]

RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1

RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_STATUS} 200
RewriteRule .* - [L]

Initially it was only

RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1

Because as many of you know, when using Zend Framework, all requests have to go through htdocs/index.php.

Well it worked fine until I changed my domain settings using Dreamhost’s Control Panel. I changed my domain to point to the domain.com/htdocs folder, because I want that folder to be the “root” of the domain.

But since I did that change I get this error:

500 Internal Server Error

If I see the logs, I read:

[Tue Mar 17 10:52:08 2009] [error] [client 80.25.201.118] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace.
[Tue Mar 17 10:52:08 2009] [error] [client 80.25.201.118] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace.
[Tue Mar 17 10:52:09 2009] [error] [client 80.25.201.118] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace.
[Tue Mar 17 10:52:09 2009] [error] [client 80.25.201.118] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace.

I’ve spent hours trying to figure out what was happening. The solutions I’ve found are all included in the .htaccess I’ve pasted above.

I’ll try to explain why I have included certain rules, and if anyone has any idea of what’s wrong, please tell me.

These lines:
RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/.$ - [PT]
RewriteCond $1 !^cgi-bin/.
$ [NC]
are to avoid requests to my cgi folder being rewritten.

These ones are supposed to avoid infinite loops:
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(stats/|missing.html|failed_auth.html|error/).* [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [L]

RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_STATUS} 200
RewriteRule .* - [L]

But they don’t. One thing I’ve noticed is that depending on their order, I see 2 or 4 errors, so they definitely do something.

My guess is that by changing my domain settings to point to the domain.com/htdocs I am adding more redirections. Besides, I have also instructed the control panel to add www. if my visitors don’t include it. So that adds even more complication.

I’ve read somewhere that I could raise the number of allowed redirections by editing httpd.conf, something that I’m not sure can be done in Dreamhost.

Has anyone experimented similar problems?

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Luis

You’ve changed the webroot so you’ll need to use full paths or [color=#0000CC]…[/color]back them out.

eg.

Action php-cgi [color=#0000CC]…[/color]/cgi-bin/php-wrapper.cgi
Action php5-cgi [color=#0000CC]…[/color]/cgi-bin/php-wrapper.cgi

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost