Limiting User access

I’ve browsed through the User section of the panel, and the knowledgebase but can’t see an answer to my question:

Is it possible to set up a user with just access to one domain on my account?

Thanks

Neil Atwood
Sydney, Oz

It depends on what you mean by access.

For the purpose of uploading files for web site content, simply create an FTP or shell user and provide them with the login details. Then Add or Edit the subdomain or domain so that the “Web Directory” is a directory in their user home directory. And then if for some reason you need access to the files there, you would need to use their login details, unless you are familiar with Unix-style filesystem owners/groups/public permissions.

As for administration of a domain, that is a different manner. They would need their own NDN WebID. Then you specify in your Web Admin Panel what privileges you want that WebID to have regarding services on your accounts. Here is the Knowledge Base article on that.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Many thanks Atropos7 - that KB article is exactly what I was looking for… not sure how I missed it.

Cheers

Neil Atwood
Sydney, Oz

One more question that I couldn’t see the answer to in tha KB article:

Can I set up a user with FTP access to a specific, single domain?
IE: I have x number of domains set up under my account. I want a user to be able to FTP to just ONE of those domains.
Is that doable?

When I try to set up a user with FTP access, all it does is setup a new directory with that users name…

Thanks…

Neil Atwood
Sydney, Oz

Uh, I already answered that question. Here it is again.

For the purpose of uploading files for web site content, simply create an FTP or shell user and provide them with the login details. Then Add or Edit the subdomain or domain so that the “Web Directory” is a directory in their user home directory. And then if for some reason you need access to the files there, you would need to use their login details, unless you are familiar with Unix-style filesystem owners/groups/public permissions.

This means:

1. Add User, write down
    A. Username
    B. Password
    C. Home Directory: /home/username
  2. Add Domain or Edit Domain, set Web Directory to /home/username/domain
  3. To upload or manage the files served from that domain, you should
    only ever use the same username/password for the user whose home directory the Web Directory is in

It’s really that simple. You see, on the filesystem, each user gets their own diskspace called the home directory. Web content has to be in someone’s home directory. So you have to tell the web server in which home directory. NOTE: Do not set “Web Directory” to just “/home/username”

And unless you are familiar with Linux (It is not the same as Windows or MS-DOS) then don’t even attempt to manage the files of userA if you are logged in to ftp/shell as userB, otherwise you’ll be creating problems. This is because each file or directory has an owner, and the owner gets to decide what others can do by granting permissions. If you try to share files by logging in as different users, you will be creating files and directories that can’t be deleted or scripts that can’t run or files that can’t be created, etc.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Ah! Now the light dawns!
Apologies for being a tad slow… but thankyou for that thorough explanation… :wink:

Regards

Neil Atwood
Sydney, Oz