Legal requirements hosting a UK site on Dreamhost

I’m considering hosting my UK-based website on DH and I wondered if anyone knew about the legal implications of doing so? The information I’m likely to store may include real names and addresses which would be covered under the Data Protection Act 1998 and should normally be stored in Europe. Has anyone else faced this problem, or others issues of this nature, and if so, how did you overcome it?

I’m not an expert on the subject but if you need to store the information at DreamHost for their benefit you would be allowed to export the data to the U.S. under the following exception:

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

If you are still not sure, here is a link to DH support and you will get the right answer.
http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I dunno if they will give you UK legal advice, but they can tell you whether they are a “Safe Harbour” firm.

As I said, though, since you’re not actually transferring the personal information to DreamHost as a corporate entity but rather transferring them to DreamHost facilities for some express purpose for which there is a legitimate business need that the parties have agreed to, DreamHost wouldn’t need to be a safe harbor firm.

The main question is what you’re doing with this personal information and why do you need to upload them to your web host?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thanks for the responses.

The information I’m likely to store would be names and addresses of organisations rather than individuals, and would only be used for verification purposes - no direct mailing etc.

It’s just something I’m considering at the minute and to be honest it may not be an avenue I wish to go down, what with the various EU regulations and all.

I will however get in touch with DH to check if they are a safe harbour firm.

Thanks again.