Laws surrounding Rumour website? Might get in serious trouble!

Hi everyone!

Just joined so be nice!

I was wondering if someone can help. Basically i have set up a niche website that posts rumours about an organisation. The organisation is the Scottish Golf Union. I live in Scotland myself BUT i host my site from the USA.

My question is: the organisation have warned that if i were to post any content that is detrimental to their image without suffient evidence then they are willing to take 'appropriate action.'
However i heard that they cannot track or get hold of my details as my site is hosted in the US and i live in the UK. Something to do with federal laws??

Does anyone have experience to say if i could get into serious trouble or is there nothing to worry about. I am also going to put a disclaimer on the site saying that all info is rumour etc etc…

Kind regards
Tam

bump!

I’m not a lawyer but I’m pretty sure it would take a legal action from your local government or law enforcement before DH would consider handing over your information. It is highly unlikely that would happen considering the amount of resources it would take just to harass some rumor website.

I’m also not a lawyer, and you might want to consult one to specify how the laws of the UK interact with the USA. I do know that a few years ago, the US president signed a bill that would prevent US citizens from being held liable for UK’s very strict libel laws, but I have no idea how that works out when you’re not a US citizen but rather using a hosting service based in the US.

[quote]
The Free Speech Protection Act of 2008 and 2009 were both bills aimed at addressing libel tourism by barring U.S. courts from enforcing libel judgments issued in foreign courts against U.S. residents, if the speech would not be libelous under American law.[/quote]