LA BBB and New Dream Network

New Dream Network is the actual company behind Dreamhost. I’ve only been a customer a few months, but everything seems pretty ok so far, no significant gripes. Like many I signed up because DH has really good word-of-mouth.

So how in the world could New Dream Network garner an “F” rating with the Los Angeles Better Business Bureau ??!

A couple details on that page stand out:

1. New Dream Network is not a member of the LA BBB, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but why aren’t they?
  2. Complaint Experience: “Our complaint history for this company shows that the business has not responded to customer complaints brought to its attention by the Bureau.”

The number of unanswered complaints is seven, and I’m unable to determine any other reason for the “F” rating.

What’s up, anyone?

You raise an interesting point…

I think maybe part of the clue could be in the last line of the "explanation of ratings offeren on the BBB website:

–Begin Cut n Paste ----

F We strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices.(emphasis added by me)

—End Cut n Paste ----

I would not be a bit surprised if webhosting companies’ reputations in general might be part of the evaluation.

It’s also interesting to me that the BBB record was “created” over 5 1/2 years ago…and there is no way for me to tell from the website when the 7 listed “unanswered” compaints might have been made.

Frankly, I’m entirely encouraged by the fact that a company that has grown to the size of DreamHost has only 7 compaints listed with the BBB, given the often clueless expectations and general ignorance of webhosting evidenced by many customers of “low-cost” hosting. I would have thought it would be normal for DH to have had complaint numbers several orders of magnitude higher than that!

My guess is that the combination of “not being a member” of the BBB, and “not answering” the 7 complaints is the reason for the “F”…they don’t participate.

7 BBB complaints in 5 years? That, by itself, is a great recommendation for DH, IMHO.