Kiva is leaving Dreamhost

Apparently, they’re the best because you’ve been here 6 years and just turned down a refund to go somewhere better.

I thought they moved away about 18 months ago?

How about giving us an informative l&l experience report?

And spill the rest of the beans on the bonus thing.

–Dreamhost customer over 5 minutes.

==

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Well, Maggie loves flowers but Ken LOVES flowers… will it cause jealousy or a deeper connection?

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

Now that you have the gist, do you have any special plans for it? If not, maybe I could use it!

–rlparker

<Good, now you know what it’s like to read through drivel, instead of post it. >

well at least that’s one thing we have in common :slight_smile:

<In your other post it was, “I’ve been here over 3 years.” I guess you could have just said, “I’ve been here over 5 minutes,” since that could also mean 6 years.>

I was actually speaking of the message board when i made that comment…i have been on this message board for a little over 3 years…i initially read and posted anonymously, than someone suggested i create a profile, so i did and have been posting under “IAmAtMyWitsEnd” ever since…btw, that nick is actually not DH related…that is simply what a couple of my colleagues tell me that i remark around the office quite a bit :wink:

<If it’s anything beyond “here’s a link,” it’s not for me. I’d continue to recommend DH if they dropped codes & referrals.>

and that is where we are different…i don’t believe in giving props to a webhosting provider , you are only setting yourself up for anguish…while you may have lucked out to date, it is still setting yourself up for trouble. DH has DOCUMENTED issues right now and if you are a website designer especially, you should NEVER recommend a particular webhost…it’s just bad business…and the reason why some of us “whiners” are soo up in arms is that while you may be managing a handful of clients, my team has over 400 (only 20 with DH) and we have been on the wrong end of several of these downtime issues…but, I don’t really care much about it anymore because only our “budget” clients are still assigned to DH…the only reason why i come in here to preach a “counterpoint” is that I want to show possible new DH clients that all is not as rosy as some will have you believe. Just as it is your right to promote and make things rosy about DH…

<This also proves my point that whining seems to be your only reason for being here. Your last post was to warn people that I can’t be trusted because of promo codes, then your very next post is about how to get rich using promo codes. If I didn’t have the promo codes, you would have posted that I don’t really like DH because I’m not promoting them with a promo code.>

Actually that is incorrect…I respect those that do not get into the whole “promo code” thing…you know where those folks are coming from…and I really believe that is bad business in general.

<If you’re referring to the way of making $__ on every referral, even with the $97 code, no thanks. And I think you’re offbase suggesting that’s what I do, or anyone else here for that matter. [Note: If anyone want tips on gaming the system, PM him–not me.]>

that may be the case with you, but, it is not “always” the case…

<Even if people were doing that, it doesn’t change the fact that the promo code is giving away the referral and saving new customers $97. And with a 97 day money-back guarantee, you lose the referral if they don’t like it here and request a refund–so what exactly did you think you were protecting anyone from? Exactly… nothing.>

ahh, no, i am protecting peeps from “rosy coloured glasses” that some of you seem to have permanently affixed to their aural cavities.

<Sneaky marketing with referral links pays better than promo codes as well, but I’m not interested in that either.>

this further demonstrates my point, don’t think for a second that i am the only peep questioning these motives and it is with that doubt that casts doubt over your overall comments.

<It would seem that way to you because you only read the whiny troll threads, where your posts are usually found.>

ironically, it is where we met…above all else, this is where i come to vent, because as you know it is impossible to speak to anyone via the telephone…

<Like I’ve said before, this is a forum for DH’ers to help each other. How exactly does the crap you and a few others post qualify as helpful?>

How does your promo sig “help” anyone? and how come you simply write off anyone who has not had such a rosy experience with DH? My “help” is injecting some “reality” into an otherwise promo laden forum

<The sad thing is that you know you’d be banned by any other host, which also means you know what you do here isn’t appreciated.>

Why would i be banned? for speaking my mind? for injecting some reality in here? banned for staying with a budget host through thick and thin? banned for wanting DH to return to quality?

<I’ve been here since '02 and have just over 350 posts, which until very recently, were mostly pleasant.>

I am sorry to hear that I have rained on your parade of goodwill…if only i was in the same place as you are from your perspective…when this all started back in 05, i lost 4 top end clients because of mailserver, and overall downtime issues which were not being reflected in the DH reports…this cost me thousands of dollars. Also, I wonder what “promo sig” you were using when you were “sooo pleasant”?? alot easier to attract bees to honey isnt it?

<You didn’t register on the forums until 2005 and already racked up 186 posts on a whining spree.>

You know i only went on the attack with you, after you attacked me…

<You’ve been with DH for over 6 years? So, when all was fine, you couldn’t be bothered to sign up and actually contribute to the forum, but as soon as DH makes you cry, you have all the time in the world to troll?>

at the time i originally signed up for DH, i was way too busy with new clients and as i stated, i did make a post here and there anonymously and i did read alot of the posts on here…i am not a troll…i want DH to get better period…

<Apparently, they’re the best because you’ve been here 6 years and just turned down a refund to go somewhere better.>

Told you, i am satisfied with DH as a “Budget” host…i just would never place a top tier client on their service until they get things straightened out.

<I think they’ve already explained to you that they get to make their own business decisions and that you don’t represent the majority.

They do get to make their own business decisions, I just want them to be the best that they can be…actually i am in the minority only in the fact that i have decided to stick it out with DH…top tier designers simply quietly move things over to more stable environments like a rackspace and you wouldnt even know it…i like the way DH is and I hope they can return to a more stable environment someday…

<Now I just need to figure out which means more, a large number of people choosing my promo code out of the many here, or thanking me for helping them… or one post from someone that does nothing but whine here. Hmm… I’ll have to think about that one.>

Yet you seem to go out of your way to battle me about this…i have documented issues with DH stretching back to 05 - you have not…that is why we will see things differently…

<You don’t seem completely braindead, so I’m not sure why you don’t contribute more to the forums than whining. If you’ve really been here 6 years, I’d think that you’d have the experience to actually offer people help that have made the same choice to host here that you did.>

Wow, do i taste a very miniscule compliment in your oft venomous words? :slight_smile:

Truth is seiler, guys like you (ironically) are what keeps me sending money to DH every month…some peeps just need to vent and I think DH realizes this especially when they have had particular difficult issues. Unlike most “whiners” i actually read and listen to every word that is said to me in here - i dont always agree, but that is simply life…btw, i hope you took my advice about some of those “other things” - i would change the domain name - stay under the radar if you really dont want to amend my other suggestions…if you keep it that way though, you will catch heat at sometime…those folks use the MarkMonitor service and it is only a matter of time before you get a letter - TBH, i would dump it or put it in a “private” reg.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

You prefer inaction to action that may or may not be right? What is the reason for not recommending a host? If people with experience don’t make recommendations, then people are left to Google for pages that have “unbiased reviews” of different hosting companies. I think web designers are in a great position to make recommendations, especially ones who make use of a variety of services offered by a particular host (so they can give advice like “Use them for non-dynamic pages and they’re great, but if you plan on using them for MySQL-heavy sites, you’ll be out of luck”).

Would you recommend against a host (but never for one)?

<You prefer inaction to action that may or may not be right? What is the reason for not recommending a host?>

In the business of web design, wearing ones “badge” on their shoulder is poor business…I liken it to discussing politics and religion with clients, you just don’t do it…the truly top-tier webhosts out there are held very close and they don’t offer promo codes “bribes” to sign up with them…they simply provide stellar uptimes and fantastic customer support.

<If people with experience don’t make recommendations, then people are left to Google for pages that have “unbiased reviews” of different hosting companies.>

First off, I read that little DH diatribe and laughed my way through the whole thing. I have a newsflash for you Ian, JD Power and Associates/Consumer Guide/fill in the blank, ALL give high ratings to your MR2 - do you think their reviews are completely unbiased? Consumer reports is the only true barometer in this world of resource guides…If DH themselves were soo naive to think that everything would be based on merit, than they are much further behind in a business sense than I previously gave them credit for. Further, what a bunch of hypocrits! Slamming those companies for asking for money for reviews, yet pimping themselves out to any two bit webdesigner for “promo referrals” - what a hypocrisy!

<I think web designers are in a great position to make recommendations, especially ones who make use of a variety of services offered by a particular host (so they can give advice like “Use them for non-dynamic pages and they’re great, but if you plan on using them for MySQL-heavy sites, you’ll be out of luck”).>

This I would agree with you…pointing out various services and their uptimes would be something of value…I prefer epinions for more end-user type reviews.

<Would you recommend against a host (but never for one)?>

In a way, your statement holds true…see, Ian, to really excel at webdesign and with the search engines…there are certain “server” methods that need employed…I will not get into particulars, but, the more peeps joining your “host”, the less likely you will reach highs with certain targeted keyword phrases…that is why often the only way to discover a high-end webhost is by running whois searches on their domains and finding out who they are using, not by clicking on a “bribe code” (promo) - we usually hold these hosts close to our hearts and don’t speak of them freely, while it is easier to point out faults and allow adults to make their own decisions. Maybe it’s just my surroundings, but in our fast paced environments, peeps generally like to get right to the crux and skip all of the “promotional garbage” - speaking of that:

“Use code “GORDAEN” to save $45 on any one or two year plan or $10 per level of monthly plan (i.e. L1 = $10 off, L4 = $40 off).”

This is just me, but, I would have a hard time taking your comments seriously If I were looking for a webhost - it is a shame though, because after reading a good bit of your sites, I come to realize that we are on the same page with regards to your “articles” - although, I feel that DP is a deterrent - it at least deters that particular individual from future incidences. Anyways, good luck to you :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

When I first came to Dreamhost, I recommended them to my clients and family members all the time, because I thought they were the best deal around and offered quality, reliability, and customer service for a decent price. Not the cheapest, but the combo was great.

Now I have some fairly large clients who are faced with moving because of the service issues. Moving large sites is not easy. To an extent, having them find their own web hosts distances the designer from liability if the host goes down (which we typically can’t do anything about, but we get blamed for anyway).

For me, I deal a lot with small businesses who are computer illiterate. So I usually take care of their hosting/email/what have you. As such, when DH goes down, I’M RESPONSIBLE.

================================
Angela Gann
CrimsonDryad Web Design Services
Web Design, Custom Software Development
http://www.crimsondryad.com

And if your clients are trying to decide what political party is right for them, you wouldn’t give them any suggestions?

If only you could suggest one of these hosts… I’ve tried plenty and, in general, have found most were great a few years ago and now many are going down-hill. I ended up at DH as a “value for the money” deal. Despite the recent problems, I’ve been pleased with the service.

Very few people in the world, including consumers, are not biased. If you get enough people to review something, then, sure, you find a nice “average” opinion, but different people are looking for different things. Someone who is looking for a luxury vehicle is not going to find my MR2 as adequate, and would thus be less likely to offer a fair opinion. The point being that someone who is in the position of knowing/using a particular product (such as a webhost) is going to have a far more beneficial opinion than most other people. If those who use various webhosts regularly aren’t willing to recommend anyone, then everybody is left to guess what is good based on completely biased (as opposed to partially) sites.

As far as the MR2, I am biased too :wink: Mine hasn’t had any real problems and I know someone who drag races ~50 times a year on an original engine that has never been opened despite having over 200K miles on it. Personally, I’d sooner trust his opinion than the average of 5 people with minimal knowledge.

Of course, when it came to me buying a car, I didn’t read any of the sources you listed. I decided what features I wanted and my price range and started looking. Then I narrowed it down. Eventually, I went to test drives before deciding on exactly what I wanted. With webhosting, it’s not easy to “test drive” a full site and then change if it doesn’t work out. It can be very expensive for a business to prepare for server changes and having a couple of good recommendations can alleviate some of that.

In what regard? I don’t offer the promo code in conjunction with any “DH is great, everyone should use them” messages. In fact, I avoid using my code on this board and I have not yet reviewed DH on my site (I prefer to wait 6-12 months before doing so). I waited 1 month after signing up for DH before putting the promo code on my site, because I believed it a good idea to get my feet wet before recommending a lake for swimming. When I do a review of DH, I’m sure it will be along the lines of “good value for budget-minded individuals, probably not a good buy for businesses.”

As far as the DP, a good prison can prevent further crimes just as the DP can. Quoting the rare instances where an escaped convict has committed additional crimes shows only that the prison failed not the principle (and that issue would have to be dealt with anyway for all the people who would be at the prison for non-death sentences). The two biggest problems with the death penalty are 1) cost, 2) “oops, made a mistake, uhhh… sorry about that.” If we could drop the costs and make specific legislation for instances where there is no doubt (video footage, X number of credible witnesses, etc.), I’d have to reconsider my opinion as I am not certain where my morals stand on the issue.

I really do need to create some new articles, but I’ve mostly been throwing thoughts into my blog and not developing them. Well, and preparing a bunch of redesign stuff.

Thanks for reading the site and preparing a well thought-out perspective.

<And if your clients are trying to decide what political party is right for them, you wouldn’t give them any suggestions?>

I really couldn’t, Ian, simply because if I would wear that badge, I would inherently offend nearly half of my business prospects…USA is deeply divided with bi-partisanship at the writing of this; plus, tbh, I am not sure i fall into either of the major parties, my politics ironically fall into line with alot of what you stated pertaining to the biggies: abortion and DP…just as you with the first one, i just don’t see an iron clad rule with things…message truncated

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Word-of-mouth isn’t exactly a new form of advertising for any type of business.

I get that you and others have had problems here. A lot of people have, including me. Same can be said for any host, including the expensive ones.

Unless 395 clients are non-paying friends/family, I don’t see why you even need an account here if it’s so bad.

It’s odd that it’s okay for you to take money from people and put them here, but you have a problem with promo codes?

Have you linked all 20 of your clients to your posts here, or is honesty only important when it comes to promo codes?

I still don’t see how harassing the owners and whining about whatever passes for making a counter-point.

A lot of people come here and post their problems in ways that never get attacked by anyone. No one calls them whiners, either.

Do you? How do you know they’re not top-secret undercover DH employees? PM spammers? Maybe the ones without promo codes here are making a killing from them every day with PPC. Or what about people that don’t have promo codes, but have a link to their blog/site… which might have a promo code on it?

What exactly is it about your posts that you think has earned you any credibility? Lack of promo codes?

At some point, the post has to matter more than the sig beneath it… which is why I questioned you on contributing instead of whining.

(By the way… when the promo codes were making people here cry, I was fine with the idea of banning sigs completely, to avoid there being any reason to post other than adding to the discussion.)

That’s nothing more than a reason for you to not use them.

[quote]<If you’re referring to the way of making $__ on every referral, even with the $97 code…>

that may be the case with you, but, it is not “always” the case…[/quote]
Some people rape farm animals, but I don’t remember telling anyone to skip over your posts just because I don’t know for a fact that you haven’t done it.

Whining isn’t protecting. Include this with every post and see how seriously people take you: “… By the way, I’ve been here 6 years and have no intention of leaving.”

If someone signs up, with or without a code, and hates it–they get their money back. If a code was used, the person loses their referral. Okay, no difference there either way.

If they sign up and decide to stay based on their own 97 day evaluation, there is no benefit to not using a code. They save $97 on something they decide they want, regardless of what they read here.

Like I said before, I’ve only seen one refund–and that was before all of the recent problems.

I still haven’t seen you discredit any posts based on their content. The only ammo you seem to have is, “He can’t be right! He has a promo code in his sig!”

Learn how to complain faster and see what you can squeeze in on a call-back. :wink: Or take lessons from this guy.

I never even said people shouldn’t vent here. Just that some people need to actually contribute something once in a while, rather than do nothing but vent/whine.

I’d rather read 10 whiny posts from someone with 90 useful posts than read 1 whiny post from a person whose post count is 2.

[quote]<Like I’ve said before, this is a forum for DH’ers to help each other. How exactly does the crap you and a few others post qualify as helpful?>

How does your promo sig “help” anyone? and how come you simply write off anyone who has not had such a rosy experience with DH? My “help” is injecting some “reality” into an otherwise promo laden forum[/quote]
Ask the people that have saved $97 if they found my sig helpful. Some people even read the posts (that’s the part above the sig) and find those useful, too. Besides, most of the posts I reply to are from people that already host here and have a question or problem.

I don’t dismiss anyone with problems. I wouldn’t mind a whole section for complaints. It would clean the trash out of the other forums. If a post gets a harsh reply from me, it’s generally not the content, but the way it’s presented.

Someone asking for help via a tantrum is like using ebonics during a job interview. You either want to be taken seriously or you don’t.

[quote]<The sad thing is that you know you’d be banned by any other host…>

Why would i be banned? for speaking my mind? for injecting some reality in here? banned for staying with a budget host through thick and thin? banned for wanting DH to return to quality?[/quote]
Sarcastic, but I’d actually accept it as a correct answer. Maybe throw in extra points for the hippy treehugger cracks in other threads.

Many/most, if not all hosts, see any site they own as an advertisement that they’re paying for. I can’t think of a single host that is as lenient as DH in this area.

DH has their problems, but the main reason there are so many complaints here is because they don’t get deleted.

I’d still help the happy ones, even if my server was having problems. That’s what I mean when I say that’s what the forum is for.

Even this guy seems to know that this forum isn’t the best place to whine about DH.

I still don’t buy it when people claim a single shared hosting account costs them a lot of income. Lack of redundancy and poor decision-making, maybe–but not the downtime of a single shared hosting account.

Even if it was the case, it would have put me off on shared hosting–not just DH.

It’s like when people think the .snapshot directory is a reason to not keep their own backups.

I thinking giving someone $97 passes for “honey.”

Silly me. I mistook your “DH Puppet” post, which contained absolutely nothing relevant to the thread, as an attack.

This is one of my biggest problems with the whiny posts and why they’re the ones that need counter-balancing, rather than the praise posts.

When things are good, everyone’s too busy to help out other forum members or praise DH. But as soon as something goes wrong, everyone has time to bash/complain/whine/etc… about DH and annoy the posters that actually use the forum for what it’s for. THAT is what throws things out of balance–not helpful posts, with or without promo codes in the sigs.

Unless we have different definitions of ‘top tier client’ – I can’t picture putting them here either–but I expand that to include any shared hosting plan.

If something is mission-critical, why put it at the mercy of hundreds of other users? Sure, your own dedicated server technically becomes a shared environment for your clients, but you get to select the people that are sharing it. If you’re building sites for businesses, not many warez/porn/mp3/hack sites are going to end up on your hard drives.

It’s simple. You ask yourself, “How much money will this make me?” Then you ask, “How much am I willing to spend to secure this income?” If you answer the second question with “$8/month,” then I hope the answer to the first question wasn’t much more than $8/month.

Do you really think your approach to that is taken seriously at all? Your approach with the owners got you a refund offer. I think when someone is willing to pay you to leave, it’s their way of saying you need a new approach.

Got suggestions? Use the suggestion panel. I do. Word them in a way that will get other users’ support & votes. I’ve even put in suggestions that were pretty much thrown right into the mix, without needing votes.

Who do you think made the right move? Them for moving to a place you’d rather be, or you for staying at a place they wouldn’t want to be?

If you stay to use the service for whatever it’s worth to you, that’s fine. DH not being Rackspace isn’t a reason to complain, though.

I can turn it around and say that same thing. I don’t have a problem with DH and you can’t accept it, so you blame everything on promo codes.

I have a bunch of domain names that contain DH. If they wanted them I’d happily hand them over.

I think there was a whole thread on this topic, or at least a thread that went off-course and became this topic. They don’t seem to go after the name unless it violates their wordmark by competing against them.

Sites that promote DH and state the relationship, if any, aren’t hurting DH. Same goes for the other extreme, the “DH Sucks” sites. On the other hand, it would be a bad idea to try competing by running a hosting business from a domain like BetterThanDreamhost.com. Or possibly even using something like that to promote a competitor–not sure where the line gets drawn on that one.

DH doesn’t have Wal-Mart money, so until I see Wal-Mart eliminate the “Wal-mart Sucks” sites, I doubt that even the ones that use DH in a negative way have much to worry about.

Besides, they don’t even delete the trash-talking here, so I doubt they put much effort into shutting people up on other domains.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with TAKESEILERSCASH.