Kiva is leaving Dreamhost

I’ve done it twice and gotten a reasonably prompt return call each time.
And if I didn’t get a call back I’d be bitching about it to the DH staff.

Are you in the United States? If not, that’s probably why you’re not receiving calls.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with TAKESEILERSCASH.

That’s not even close to being the point. The point is R E D U N D A N C Y.

If you have a red car that gets a flat tire, would you grab the spare tire, or paint the car blue? Why have a spare tire in the first place? Oh wait, I know… the solution would be to replace the 3 tires that aren’t flat with a different brand.

I think a lot of people would just leave the car on the side of the road forever and dedicate the rest of their lives to whining on a tire forum.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).

The DH apologistas are working overtime these days aren’t they.

“The DH apologistas are working overtime these days aren’t they.”

Translation: I’m a little baby so everyone should be! WAAAAA!

I guess you’d like it better here if everyone was a whining clueless retard?

Heh-heh. A sig-worthy observation!

As a result of the fiasco of the last couple of months, I DID get a dedicated server. I registered a bunch of domain names through DH, and I find out today, 5 days after I changed the nameservers and after they were resolving to the new server, THAT THEY’RE POINTED BACK AT DREAMHOST. Most of these domains were registered in the last 60 days, so if I transfer them elsewhere I’m going to be out approx $300. That’s more than an ENTIRE YEAR of hosting.

I’ve been going through hell for a week now trying to login so I can move my email off their servers.

I never expected 99.9% uptime. But certainly 75% is reasonable? I think the last week I’m lucky if they’re batting 50%. Should I just pay my hosting 50% of the time?

I’ve been recommending clients to DH for 3 years, but enough is enough. Some of you are getting militant in your support of DH. YOU may not be having issues, but lots of people evidently are as stated in the post. Why do you feel it’s ok to flame and abuse these people for expecting to get what they paid for?

Regardless if it’s a cheap service, DH should provide what they are selling. If they are only going to sell 75% uptime, then they should be stating that. Some web hosts I’ve seen post their uptimes right on their products page.

================================
Angela Gann
CrimsonDryad Web Design Services
Web Design, Custom Software Development
http://www.crimsondryad.com

Dreamhost isn’t down 7 - 15 days per month.

Even if they went down for a full 24 hours every month, which they don’t, even that would be around 97% uptime.

Not to say they don’t have their problems, but your numbers aren’t even close to being accurate. If you find a host with 50% uptime, it probably means they went out of business 15 days ago and you didn’t get the memo.

Convenient that you worded that to work out in your favor. MOST people aren’t having problems and being stupid little babies about it. What exactly are the unhappy DH customers gaining by annoying the ones that are?

If you hate DH, then leave. Period.

This is a customer forum for helping each other, just because YOU have problems, doesn’t mean everyone else does. The whiners that pollute every thread with their “DH is teh suck!” mentality does nothing but annoy those of us that have brains.

Then you have the ones that claim to hate it here, but refuse to leave. Even they don’t believe the crap they’re talking. They’ll say, “you just like them because you get promo code money.” Noo… I liked them for years before those came along. And this is another argument that shows what retards these people are. The promo codes make us LOSE money. How is giving away my $97 to a stranger better for me than if I got the full $97 like before the promo codes came along?

And if I didn’t like them, I’d leave, which is obviously too hard for the whining retards on this forum to figure out. No one takes whining idiots seriously, so I think they’re overestimating the impact they have on DH’s business.

Angela,

I appreciate your excellent and well-stated post, and am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having getting your DNS properly set up on the domains registered with/via Dreamhost. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be, and make me grateful I have kept (the majority of) my domains registered with a different registrar than my host (Which makes “rolling over” to “back-up” hosting much easier to do when things crash badly at one host!).

That is a good observation, and I’m glad you posted it here. It is probably a good idea for all to recognize that frustration leads to postings that often read as hysterical, and responses that can deteriorate from, curt to sarcastic, to just “plain ol’ mean”.

I do not think it is ok to “flame and abuse” people for “expecting to get what they paid for”. I also don’t think is is ok for those who are frustrated and who feel they are in that catagory to attack and belittle those who dare to share that they have had a different/better experience than they have.

When passions take over pens, the discussion generally deteriorates.

I don’t think even the most ardent “supporter” of Dreamhost can deny that things have been rough of late. What some of us are saying, however, is that at the end of the day, when the “bitching and whining” is done,it is time to make a decision about what is best for your/your clients and get on with it, like you have done.

I’ve enjoyed, and benefitted from, your past posts here and, while I’ll miss your presence on these forums, wish you all the best with your shiney new dedicated server. I suspect that, if things do not improve (or, depending upon your experience with DH, return to “normal”) rapidly, many of us will find it appropriate to make the same decision you have made. I’m interested in seeing what develops. Dallas just made an interesting post on another thread along these lines, which some in this thread might appreciate (or not!) reading.

Good luck with getting the DNS sorted out, and stop back in here now and then when you are bored or want to “talk tech”; I know that I and many others will welcome your posts.

–rlparker

This last month there hasn’t been ONE day where I didn’t have issues of one sort or another. Mostly, it’s been email…but it’s STILL downtime if ALL services aren’t working correctly.

In reply to:

Convenient that you worded that to work out in your favor. MOST people aren’t having problems and being stupid little babies about it. What exactly are the unhappy DH customers gaining by annoying the ones that are?

If you hate DH, then leave. Period.

This is a customer forum for helping each other, just because YOU have problems, doesn’t mean everyone else does. The whiners that pollute every thread with their “DH is teh suck!” mentality does nothing but annoy those of us that have brains.

Why is it that you feel the need to disparage every person who doesn’t agree with you? I didn’t call you names. The only person who looks like a stupid little baby here is you for behaving this way.

This is a customer HELP forum. Therefore, by your own admission, if a customer is unhappy and looking for HELP, then this is the place to be, right?

Posting about our experiences here, positive or negative, is helping other customers. If a customer came here and only saw how everyone was getting their kumbaya on, then maybe they would stay or think it’s just them. The purpose of the negative posts here is to help customers decide whether they should stay with Dreamhost and deal with the issues or leave.

As I mentioned, I AM leaving. I was a customer with DH for over three years. I was here with them when their support was what it was cracked up to be and when they were reliable. I continued to recommend them to people (in fact, I had a friend of mine sign up right before the snafus occurred). Now I’m in the position of explaining to my friend who trusted me how I could recommend a company that is doing such a crappy job.

As for leaving…it’s not easy. Especially if you have a lot of sites and/or email. After a week of struggling to migrate my 30+ domains to my new server, I can totally understand why people are extremely frustrated but hoping things will smooth out. And by the way, the migration pain has in large part been due to continued downtime at Dreamhost. My new server is working just fine.

Angela Gann

I’m not surprised… but this forum is about webhosting. :smiley:

That’s one service, on one server. Dreamhost has thousands of customers on hundreds of servers. That still doesn’t explain a ridiculous claim of 50 - 75% uptime. Don’t make up random percentages if you don’t want to be questioned on it.

Also, if you pay attention, you’ll notice that when people advertise 99.99999999999% uptime, that’s network uptime. They could unplug your server and throw it in a dumpster and that wouldn’t lower their uptime.

Boo hoo. I don’t have a problem with people disagreeing with me. The problem is with people that think because they have problems that the DH forum should become their own personal anti-DH headquarters. AND that the non-whiners are only pretending to be happy here because they want to refer people. The clueless just can’t grasp that what seems like a disaster to them might only be affecting one out of thousands of people – that’s not a reason for someone to not sign up here.

I’ve left plenty of lousy hosts before and guess what… I don’t still whine and cry on their forums.

People don’t get jumped on for sharing negative experiences here–we’ve all had them. But if you can’t do it without all the whiny “F*&^ Dreamhost” or “I’m losing $10,000,000 per minute because of DH” crap, it’s not helping anyone and it’s going to get a negative reaction. If people actually read these forums before posting, they’d already know that.

People that are looking for help here generally get it, if it’s not something that must be handled by support.

There’s no excuse to come here with the whining and crying and taking it out on customers that are happy to be here and spend time here helping others. If these jerks are taking the same tone with support, it’s no wonder they’re not getting any help.

I’ve been here longer and I’m not leaving. Every host has customers that stay or leave, since there isn’t much of a third option available.

If you really feel bad, you’ll give your friend a free account on your new server. Or you could just explain that DH, LIKE EVERY OTHER HOST ON THE PLANET, will have problems and it was just a matter of bad timing when they signed up.

And so was DH when you got here. All hosts are perfect at times and all hosts have problems at times.

Ok, to an extent I see your point. If someone is complaing that they had to wait 5 whole minutes to get their email, that’s definitely whining. And your statement about ALL web hosts having downtime is true is well. But it’s a matter of scale.

You may as well compare the Atlantic to a pond and make the same generalization - “But they BOTH have water.”

A couple of hours of downtime a month, or even a week, would be ok. You shrug and go on. But a complete power outage, DNS issues over a 6 month span, email issues that last WEEKS, are not just of the “pond” variety.

So if you’re willing to say that some customers having issues aren’t an reason for others not to sign up, then the opposite must also be true…that because some customers aren’t having issues isn’t necessarily a reason for new customers to sign up and believe they’re getting a good deal.

I believe in good service. If a company or a waitress, or whoever gives me good service and goes beyond the call of duty, they will win my support, goodwill, and acclaim. But if they aren’t doing their job, then I’m not going to just shrug and say it’s ok. It’s NOT ok.

I really don’t care why you’re refering people. Personally, I think you should all be wearing the tinfoil hats right now for continuing to evangelize about a company whose track record has proven that they’ve got major issues, but live and let live, right? I feel bad for the people who you’re refering who are going to feel cheated when they find out things aren’t so great. If you have the time to sit and wait, then yay for you. I just don’t think it’s right to beat up on the people who can’t wait anymore.

As for your statement that DH has thousands of servers…that would lead me to believe that the downtime experienced by each customer should be VERY small because by sheer numbers their chances of benig affected should be low. They AREN’T. Network-wide issues of the type DH has been experiencing are significant and troubling.

Angela Gann

If you want to scale things, that puts most problems in DH’s favor.

If DH has one server go down, it’s a small problem. The other end of the scale would be the ton of hosts that are running on one dedicated server. When they have a server go down, it’s a complete shutdown.

What about the years where nothing goes wrong? This is why redundancy is what helps when there’s a problem–not switching to another host by itself. When they have their problems, you’re in the same position again.

You hate math, don’t you? That would only make sense if it was close to being an even split. Most of DH’s thousands of customers are happy and staying. Do you understand the difference between most and some?

Most of the happy ones don’t have a reason to post here. It’s the whiners that ruin the forum for people that have other things to do besides cry.

Do people like you need for thousands of us to post every 5 minutes stating that everything is fine? Do you really not get how far off you are on understanding the ratio of happy customers vs. unhappy customers.

DH is one of the biggest hosts on the planet. Do you think they got this big because everyone hates them and would rather be somewhere else?

Then you leave and move on. Common sense. But the reality of it, even though you choose not to accept it, is that most people disagree with you. That’s why there aren’t thousands of DH’ers following you to your next host, which you’ll eventually be complaining about, too.

And again, I think (and many others do as well) that their level of honesty and transparency makes up for a lot of the problems. So does the fact that they let people speak out on their forum and blog. You won’t find that with many other hosts, if any at all. The whiners here would have been deleted and banned with most other hosts.

Well, you almost made it through a whole post without sounding like an imbecile.

What their track record shows, is that they’ve continued to grow and succeed for almost 10 years in an industry where most businesses fail within a year. You should probably mention that part when you’re talking about track records.

Speak for yourself. The people I refer seem much smarter than you and understand what shared hosting is, so you don’t need to worry about them.

Dreamhost has a 97-day money back guarantee. My referrals are in the triple digits. Only one has ever refunded. Do you really think that many people stay because it’s awful, but I said it’s great? Nope. Like I said, the problems affect a small amount of people–and that happens everywhere.

People whining on this forum have plenty of time, otherwise, they wouldn’t be here whining when they could be getting something done.

Hundreds of servers, thousands of users.

That doesn’t make sense–a problem is a problem. If there’s one bad server in 100, and you’re on it, you’re going to feel it. So will the other 500 people on the server. Meanwhile, the 49,500 people on the 99 good servers are happy.

Again, most people at DH are not having the problems and are happy to be here. The ones that aren’t happy should leave. This isn’t exactly rocket science.

That power outage was one of the few network-wide problems. Again, like with the percentage thing, you don’t seem to realize how small the problems might be that seem big to a small group sometimes are. If my mail is fine and sites are up, while yours aren’t, that’s not a network-wide problem.

If someone isn’t happy here, they should definitely leave. What they shouldn’t do is throw tantrums here and annoy those of us that choose to be here. We don’t follow the ones that leave to their new host’s forums and trash it, so they should grow up and do the same.

It’s getting hot in here…

I haven’t seen any multi-day outages for the entire network. Personally, the only problem I’ve had with e-mail is using the address as the user name the past few days (it’s been a little flakey), but I don’t use e-mail much. I would bet that more of the hardware problems are due to voltage spikes from the unreliable power at the garland building than from “incompetent” admins.

Has data actually been LOST lately, or are people just complaining about redundancy more than normal?

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

on a nicer side note, I’d just like to dito what rlparker said. I totally sympathize with you and hope to see (or more technically read) you around in the future.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

So how have things been then?
Did Kiva leave?
Did the twins find out?
Were Fred and Doris actually married or was the banana plantation just a red herring?
Can Maggie and Ken ever get back together again after Kens affair with Petunia?

I missed most of the plot but I think I have the gist!

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

< Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with TAKESEILERSCASH.>

This is all you need to know about Seiler and why you will never convince him otherwise, he is a DH puppet…and btw, for those of you out there not “in the know”, you still make money on these DH $xx off promos, they are just given money in other ways, unless seiler himself has not realized that yet :stuck_out_tongue:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Looks like the forum retard needs some more schooling.

The sig is me giving away my $97 referral fee to complete strangers. Are you doing the same? I could buy a car with what I’ve given away in referral fees. DH is getting rich from my referrals–not me.

You seem like an idiot, so I’ll guess that the secondary referral fees that everyone knows about are what you’re referring to as top-secret mystery income.

Sooooo… you see giving away $97 to tons of people, but getting a $5 referral fee every few months as me making a killing off being dishonest? That’s why no one on this forum has ever accused of being smart.

Since you once again posted without having a clue about what you’re talking about, here’s your free lesson for the day:

I’ve been a customer since 2002. Are you still with me? Or has your mind already drifted off so you can start working on your next whiny post?

Here comes the important part, so pay attention…

You DO NOT need to be a customer to post in the forum, or sign up for the affiliate program.

That means I’m a customer by choice. But hey, don’t let reality interfere with your forum trolling.

Is this the situation you saw in your empty little head that made you post this crap:

I pay a customer $97 to host here, instead of keeping the $97. How selfish of me! The customer likes DH, decides to refer a friend, then finds out, “Oh no!!! That lousy Seiler that gave me $97 is going to get $5 back if I refer a friend… and it won’t even come out of my pocket or affect my referral!!!”

Yeah, you’re smart. I’ve made tons of enemies that way.

If I was saying anything in favor of DH that I didn’t mean, I’d stop sending them money. I know that doesn’t make sense to you, since you hate them and send them money.

I guess everyone with a sig on this forum is just a paid poster? Even if they were, at least they contribute something useful to the forum. Since that’s what the forum is here for, maybe you should start doing the same.

Stick with harassing Michael & Dallas–they seem to have more patience for your non-stop anonymous BS… though they did just ask you to ID yourself so they could give you a refund and let you move to host you think is better. It’s so bad here that you turned it down… big surprise. Why let getting your money back and going to a better host stop you from whining? Oh, that’s right… you stay here because it’s cheap. Everyone knows that DH is the only cheap host out there, so that makes a lot of sense.

I will say this: Even the $1 referral fees are nice and appreciated. Most of my referrals do not come from this forum, though.

And more people have used the $96 code than the $97 one under it. Maybe I actually helped them? Oops, I lost you again. Helping is when you post something that’s actually useful to at least one person.

I’ll even add that people have used the $96 code in the last few days, even though the last few days of posting has been the forum equivalent of throwing rocks at retards.

After reading your drivel, and after i stopped laughing, I came to the realization that you really don’t know, do you? LOL - geeze, i really don’t know if i should be laughing or crying…i usually don’t laugh at “special” people, because they really can’t help themselves.

<That’s why no one on this forum has ever accused me of being smart. >

Well, we are in total agreement on that one :slight_smile:

<I’ve been a customer since 2002. Are you still with me? Or has your mind already drifted off so you can start working on your next whiny post?>

2000 for me, nice to meet you mr. two years later :slight_smile:

<You DO NOT need to be a customer to post in the forum, or sign up for the affiliate program. That means I’m a customer by choice. But hey, don’t let reality interfere with your forum trolling. Is this the situation you saw in your empty little head that made you post this crap:>

God, dude, i really pity you, you really don’t know…my guess is that you simply started copying after one of the others on this board and didn’t take the time to find out about the bonus feature…poor fella :frowning:

<I pay a customer $97 to host here, instead of keeping the $97. How selfish of me! The customer likes DH, decides to refer a friend, then finds out, “Oh no!!! That lousy Seiler that gave me $97 is going to get $5 back if I refer a friend… and it won’t even come out of my pocket or affect my referral!!!”

Yeah, you’re smart. I’ve made tons of enemies that way.

If I was saying anything in favor of DH that I didn’t mean, I’d stop sending them money. I know that doesn’t make sense to you, since you hate them and send them money.

I guess everyone with a sig on this forum is just a paid poster? Even if they were, at least they contribute something useful to the forum. Since that’s what the forum is here for, maybe you should start doing the same.>

You really seem to have alot of anger issues, dude…just in case you didn’t bother to check, you really haven’t posted in here much more than I have, so if I am a troll, I must be like a super troll because I’ve been posting here for a good bit of time.

<Stick with harassing Michael & Dallas–they seem to have more patience for your non-stop anonymous BS… though they did just ask you to ID yourself so they could give you a refund and let you move to host you think is better. It’s so bad here that you turned it down… big surprise. Why let getting your money back and going to a better host stop you from whining? Oh, that’s right… you stay here because it’s cheap. Everyone knows that DH is the only cheap host out there, so that makes a lot of sense.>

As i also mentioned, my little friend, DH is probably one of the better “budget hosting” plans out there.

<I will say this: Even the $1 referral fees are nice and appreciated. Most of my referrals do not come from this forum, though.

And more people have used the $96 code than the $97 one under it. Maybe I actually helped them? Oops, I lost you again. Helping is when you post something that’s actually useful to at least one person.

I’ll even add that people have used the $96 code in the last few days, even though the last few days of posting has been the forum equivalent of throwing rocks at retards.>

Wow, dude, you are soo incredibly helpful and cheerful; I can definitely see how soo many people are helped by your “positive” attitude :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note, though, you may want to ask one of the real seasoned veterans of DH about the “discount bonus” because I really do feel bad for you if you have been flushing what appears to be thousands of dollars down the tube.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Good, now you know what it’s like to read through drivel, instead of post it.

[quote]2000 for me, nice to meet you mr. two years later :slight_smile:
[/quote]
In your other post it was, “I’ve been here over 3 years.” I guess you could have just said, “I’ve been here over 5 minutes,” since that could also mean 6 years.

If it’s anything beyond “here’s a link,” it’s not for me. I’d continue to recommend DH if they dropped codes & referrals.

This also proves my point that whining seems to be your only reason for being here. Your last post was to warn people that I can’t be trusted because of promo codes, then your very next post is about how to get rich using promo codes. If I didn’t have the promo codes, you would have posted that I don’t really like DH because I’m not promoting them with a promo code.

If you’re referring to the way of making $__ on every referral, even with the $97 code, no thanks. And I think you’re offbase suggesting that’s what I do, or anyone else here for that matter. [Note: If anyone want tips on gaming the system, PM him–not me.]

Even if people were doing that, it doesn’t change the fact that the promo code is giving away the referral and saving new customers $97. And with a 97 day money-back guarantee, you lose the referral if they don’t like it here and request a refund–so what exactly did you think you were protecting anyone from? Exactly… nothing.

Sneaky marketing with referral links pays better than promo codes as well, but I’m not interested in that either.

It would seem that way to you because you only read the whiny troll threads, where your posts are usually found.

Like I’ve said before, this is a forum for DH’ers to help each other. How exactly does the crap you and a few others post qualify as helpful?

The sad thing is that you know you’d be banned by any other host, which also means you know what you do here isn’t appreciated.

I’ve been here since '02 and have just over 350 posts, which until very recently, were mostly pleasant.

You didn’t register on the forums until 2005 and already racked up 186 posts on a whining spree.

You’ve been with DH for over 6 years? So, when all was fine, you couldn’t be bothered to sign up and actually contribute to the forum, but as soon as DH makes you cry, you have all the time in the world to troll?

Apparently, they’re the best because you’ve been here 6 years and just turned down a refund to go somewhere better.

I think they’ve already explained to you that they get to make their own business decisions and that you don’t represent the majority.

Now I just need to figure out which means more, a large number of people choosing my promo code out of the many here, or thanking me for helping them… or one post from someone that does nothing but whine here. Hmm… I’ll have to think about that one.

You don’t seem completely braindead, so I’m not sure why you don’t contribute more to the forums than whining. If you’ve really been here 6 years, I’d think that you’d have the experience to actually offer people help that have made the same choice to host here that you did.