Keeping read messages in my IMAP

My email has been set up on POP 3 for years, placing a copy on server so I can check email from multiple computers. I understand this isn’t a good way to do email, and that converting to IMAP would be wiser.

I created a new IMAP account in TB, but kept the POP3 active since I’ve got a large archive I don’t want to lose.

Typically, I receive a message from a customer and keep it in my inbox until their order is complete or issue is resolved, then I delete the message and it goes into the trash folder, which is my archive.

I had to do a Windows update that required a restart, and when I launched TB, all the read messages that were in my IMAP inbox were gone! Fortunately, the POP3 still had the messages. None of my settings in TB allow for emptying of the inbox on exit. I assume an IMAP account would have to leave the messages on the inbox to allow for other computers to access them, so something’s not right.

Any suggestions?[hr]
OK, I think I may have figured it out - I changed my POP3 to not leave a copy on the server, thinking the IMAP would do that. But I should have disabled the POP3 from downloading messages too!

If only the IMAP (not the POP3) downloads a message, it won’t be deleted until I delete it.

We’ll see if things behave…

ive read this twice and still haven’t figured out what TB is…

FWIW… POP3 downloads the message and keeps the copy on a local workstation. Variations of pop3 that became popular included leaving the message on the server so that multiple computers could download.

IMAP has become more popular as the message store is not on a single workstation but the server. Which means your email is more universally available from any machine anytime including webmail.

TB = (Mozilla) Thunderbird.

I’m not sure what might have caused this problem, but mixing and matching POP and IMAP is probably part of it. If you’re checking your mail from multiple locations, you’re probably better off using IMAP everywhere.

Sorry about the abbreviation. I get stumped by plenty of 'em myself.

I agree with andrewf, mixing/matching POP & IMAP can make things difficult. I am choosing to keep the POP active, since it contains the archive for several hundred sent and received messages. But I did set it not to download messages or leave copies on the server.

The alternative is to move the messages in my trash (archive) and my sent items folder to the ones on the IMAP, but that could take a large chunk of time. Should I do this anyway?

POP means the messages were downloaded to that computer. You should be able to switch that client over to IMAP and still retain the local folders from the mail downloaded as POP mail. In outlook this is a pretty simple switch, I don’t know about thunderbird tho… any thunderbird users able to chime in?

If you know what file TB keeps email in on the comptuer make a second copy of that file so that you won’t loose anything and try to set it up as IMAP, in outlook your old folders would all still be present.