Just registered my site and added WordPress, but no FTP access?

I registered my site and immediately removed Hosting for it so I could do the One-Click Install of WordPress. WordPress installed just fine, I’m able to write entries and such, and it appears on my site (ddjgames.com).

The e-mail I received gave me an ftp server to use until the site was ready. When I log in to that ftp server using my ftp username and password, all I see is an essentially empty site – the ddjgames.com folder has a favicon and a placeholder html page. When I try to log in to ftp.ddjgames.com, though, I’m given the error message:

"Unable to connect to FTP server ftp.ddjgames.com on port 21.

Are you sure this is the address of the FTP server? This is often different from that of the HTTP (web) server. Please contact your ISP helpdesk or system administrator for help."

Is this a problem that resolves itself with a little bit of time? Or have I done something wrong? How do I access the file system for my site to install new themes and plugins?

(Ignore the http before the URLs – I didn’t put that there, the forum’s automatically adding that)

did you do a simple install or a custom install?

FYI… What you most likely want is the domain fully hosted with a custom install.

The differnce between ‘simple’ and ‘custom’ is NOT simple vs complex. Simple uses a central files repository that you don’t have access too. If you need to FTP files to the site you need fully hosted with a ‘custom’ one-click install.

So there’s no way to install additional plugins/themes with the simple install? Huh, I never expected that. Thanks.

That is correct. in order to install plugins/themes you must use custom. The difference between simple and custom is whether you own the files or they are used and shared from a central repository.