Just moved a site to DreamHost, I have a question

i just moved a website from directNIC hosting to DreamHost, i also told it to change the registrar, i got e-mails from DreamHost telling me that if i change the nameservers that the site would show up online, i did that over at directNIC, but now when i go to the website i get a 404 error from directNIC, i did all this juat yesterday and i’d image that things will probably take a little time, but is this odd whats happening, or is it normal and i just need to wait a while?

thanks,
TheMartian

P.S. i can log onto the website through ftp and i put up an index.html, but still no luck in the browser

If you are getting a 404 from your old hosting company, your DNS isn’t resolving to Dreamhost yet. You might want to check to make sure everything is hunky-dory with your domain registrar.

Assuming your domain is TheMartian.com

Open an MSDOS window, and type “tracert TheMartian.com”.
This will let you see what the domain name resolves to - whether you are going to Dreamhost or not. Assuming that you did everything correctly at your registrar, it can take 2 or 3 days for your domain to resolve correctly - or as long as a month, if you have an especially bad ISP.

If your DNS isn’t resolving itself properly, you can still access the DreamHost version of your site. Copy the file C:\windows\hosts.sam to c:\windows\hosts and edit it. The lines that start with a crosshatch are commented out. What you want to have are several lines that are NOT commented out, which say
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 TheMartian.com www.TheMartian.com
192.168.1.2 ftp.TheMartian.com
192.168.1.3 mail.TheMartian.com
except that instead of those 192.168 addresses, you should have the IP address listed in your control panel. (click on domains, then DNS). The 127.0.0.1 address does NOT get changed.

OK, so once this file is in place, it starts to work immediately. No need even to reboot.

Now, you can see whether you are uploading your files in the right place.

Click on domains, then manage, then on the line that says “web” in the “service” category, click on “Edit”

You probably want the “a fully hosted domain” radio button checked. The “Web Directory” line shows where you should put the index.html file which is your home page.

Since you have the hosts file installed, you should be able to FTP to your domain and stuff an index.html file there, then see it immediately in your browser. (No need to wait for the hourly server refresh.)

[quote]Open an MSDOS window, and type “tracert TheMartian.com”.
This will let you see what the domain name resolves to - whether you are going to Dreamhost or not. Assuming that you did everything correctly at your registrar, it can take 2 or 3 days for your domain to resolve correctly - or as long as a month, if you have an especially bad ISP.[/quote]
On Windows XP, you can do DNS resolution using nslookup.

[code]E:>nslookup dreamhost.com
Server: h-64-105-97-90.DLLATX37.covad.net
Address: 64.105.97.90

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: dreamhost.com
Address: 66.33.206.47[/code]Just thought I’d post this in case people wish to avoid actually performing a tracert.

thats for the help guys, i think things weren’t completely transfered and i didnt know it, i thought my partner had finished saying the transfer was OK but i think when i was having the problem she hadnt done it yet, everything is all good now.

thanks