Junkmail Quarantine Losing Messages?

Is anyone losing messages since the recent junk mail quarantine change?

Before the change, I got 50-100 spam messages in my quarantine each day, but now I’m only getting 3-4 messages per day. Some of those messages were legitimate, which I manually moved to my inbox.

The missing spam messages are not going to my inbox though; they’re just lost. I suspect there’s a problem with DreamHost’s quarantine change. I think the quarantine is being auto emptied somehow.

I’ve been in communication with support, but they haven’t been very helpful so far. They’ve guessed at a couple theories to try to explain the difference, but I don’t think they’ve actually done any real investigating of the problem yet.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral

The new junkmail quarantine is indeed somehow losing messages. Here’s the latest email I just sent to support. Am I the only one to experience (or notice) this problem?

Okay, I’ve been watching my quarantine, and I’m definitely losing email. The quarantine is somehow auto deleting messages.

I’ve been logging into webmail frequently to watch the quarantine and figure out what’s happening. Since my message to you in which I said I would do testing, the first spam message showed up at 12:47am. Another showed up less than an hour later and third about an hour after that.

Each time I logged in, I was very careful to take a screenshot and NOT delete the messages in quarantine.

I just logged in again and the three messages in quarantine are gone. I didn’t delete them. No one else uses my email/web mail – yet they’re still gone. The system must have removed them or isn’t displaying them (however you want to describe it, they’re gone).

Here’s screenshots to show the sequence:

2 Aug 2008 12:47am ET (1 message in quarantine): http://www.usticke.org/temp/dreamhost_bug/SquirrelMail 1.4.10a_1217652452701.png

2 Aug 2008 1:36am ET (2 messages in quarantine): http://www.usticke.org/temp/dreamhost_bug/SquirrelMail 1.4.10a_1217655356964.png

2 Aug 2008 2:58am ET (3 messages in quarantine): http://www.usticke.org/temp/dreamhost_bug/SquirrelMail 1.4.10a_1217660308588.png

2 Aug 2008 3:37am ET (0 messages in quarantine): http://www.usticke.org/temp/dreamhost_bug/SquirrelMail 1.4.10a_1217662674945.png

Again, the 3 messages in the quarantine are gone, and I didn’t delete them. Somehow the system is auto emptying the quarantine.

I.e., I’m losing messages.

I know you’ve been unwilling to investigate this problem up until now, but can you pleeeeeease do so now? You’ve claimed nothing has changed on the backend, but somehow the messages are disappearing. What is causing this problem?

Could it be related to the new choice for the setting “How long should mail stay in the quarantine before being automatically removed?” Before DreamHost changed the quarantine interface, the longest choice was “30 Days”. There’s now a new choice of “Never Remove”. Besides the location of the quarantine, that’s something new, and I started using the “Never Remove” choice immediately after the update. I just now changed it back to “30 Days” to see if that has an affect.

Doh, the forum isn’t linking to those URLs correctly. It’s replacing with a space.

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral

After a bit of testing, I have determined that this problem is indeed due to the “How long should mail stay in the quarantine before being automatically removed” setting. If you select the new option of “Never Remove”, it actually behaves in the exact opposite manner – auto deleting the contents of the quarantine within a couple hours. The old settings, such as “30 Days” work fine.

I’ve heard from DreamHost support, but they didn’t indicate they’re going to fix the problem.

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral

I again emailed DreamHost support asking them if they’d fix the bug with the “Never Remove” setting, and they’ve stated they can’t because it’s “controlled by the underlying filtering software” and they “cannot fix issues in software that wasn’t created by Dreamhost”.

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral

After numerous messages to support, I think I finally got them to understand the bug. They’ve now logged it and said a developer will look at it.

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral

Based on the dearth of comments, apparently I’m the only one who was affected by this bug, but the good news is that DreamHost has fixed it by removing the “Never Remove” setting. Actually all options have been removed and now all junk mail is deleted after 35 days.

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral

Just so you don’t feel like you’re talking to yourself, I’m glad they’ve found a workaround. I’ve always had mine set for 30 days or so, as that’s the one type of mail I just didn’t want laying around forever.

Why did you go with “Never Remove?”

-Scott

I selected “Never Remove” because I have the spam filter set to catch a lot, so a good bit of legitimate email gets sent to the junk mail quarantine. I go through it regularly, but I’d hate to lose something because I didn’t get to it fast enough. I prefer to delete the junk mail manually.

“Never remove” is no longer an option; but, in most cases, 35 days should be plenty of time.

Alec Usticke
alec@usticke.org
www.usticke.org
DreamHost referral