Junk filter deactived but still running

Hello,

I hope someone here will have an idea for me on how to resolve a problem.

I recently modified my MX record to use Postini’s excellent spam filtering service, which is working great. In addition, however, and even though I have deactived it, DreamHost’s provided Junk Mail Filter is still running, capturing false positives in the Junk Mail folder.

Can anyone identify these lines in my MX record? Are they for the DreamHost junk mail filter?

MX 50 fltr-in1.mail.dreamhost.com.
MX 60 fltr-in2.mail.dreamhost.com.
MX 70 fltr-in3.mail.dreamhost.com.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Cillesa

Look in your mail headers (view full headers somehow) and look for X-Spam-Status and X-Spam-Level. These are headers that the Junk Filter inserts. If your filter is deactivated, these headers shouldn’t show up.

-Scott

Thanks, Scott. They’re there. I took this from the forum notification email that I received regarding your reply.

X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 tagged_above=-999.0 required=999.0 tests=
X-Spam-Level:

So it’s definitely active. It’s already deactivated in the admin panel… Any ideas on how to further deactivate it?

Best,
Cillesa

Activating the Junk Mail filter changes your domain’s MX records, and the ones you list look to me like the ones that implement the Junk filter. How long has it been since you disable the filter, it can take a while for cached DNS records to expire.

Well, I deactivated it several days ago. More than a week, really. I think what happened was that the Postini MX instructions included those lines, since they had been in the MX record before my move to Postini.

I’m going to return the MX record to the DreamHost default, and then re-do the Postini changes minus the lines above. Will report back.

Thanks for the advice!

Cillesa

I returned to the default DreamHost MX, activated then deactivated the junk mail filter, then re-entered the Postini changes in the MX record, this time leaving out the lines that look like the DreamHost junk filter.

Now we’ll see what happens…

Well, I don’t seem to be having any luck. The junk filter shows as deactivated, and the fltr-in1.mail.dreamhost.com lines are gone from the MX record, but the X-Spam-Status and X-Spam-Level headers are still showing up, and emails are still going into the Junk Mail webmail folder.

I could really use some help on this one, as my users are now receiving junk mail notifications from Postini and DreamHost.

Thanks in advance.

Cillesa