JSP plans?

software development

While I know that DreamHost does not currently support JSP, there have been many advances in the performance, configuration, and reliability of JSP containers so I was curious if Dream Host had any plans to make this functionality available in the future.

There are no JSP containers that I know of that work well in a virtualhosting environment.

I’ve been playing with tomcat for the new webmail replacement we’re hoping to roll out soon (it’s a customer’s, http://endymion.com) but it still seems like it stinks w/r/t virtualhosting (not that it’s impossible, just that it doesn’t work well and doesn’t scale).

So no go.

nate

Tomcat 4.x does still have some issues to sort out, but I’ve seen Resin applied in various environments and its scaling well.

I have seen many great things with JRun as well. While Tomcat is considered the ‘standard,’ I have seen better scaling out of other containers.

It’s not necessarily “scaling” in general that’s a problem…I should have used a better word. Scaling, especially w/r/t JSP/Servlet containers, generally means scaling for load/# of requests.

That’s not the problem. The problem is how many different sites run by different users a given container can handle.

Because JSP/Servlets are something that is not generally used in the shared hosting world where hundreds of strangers share a machine, none of the container developers have focused on making their software work well in our situation.

JServ does work well, (the biggest thing being the sandboxed shared JVM), but nothing since it has tried to replicate the feature (mostly because not very many people care, and it’s a huge PITA).

I talked to the Resin people way back when, and like Resin, but they told me it wouldn’t work well in our environment. And JRun is prohibitavely expensive (anyone who would pay that much to use it in shared hosting won’t be using shared hosting).

That’s pretty much where things lie. I’ve not investigated this stuff in a long time, but I haven’t heard anything to the contrary since…

nate.

Its not really a big deal. Since Dreamhost has servlet support most of the work is already done as a JSP is just a document that needs to be compiled into a servlet. Actually users here could just yank the JSP compiler from a Tomcat install, compile their JSPs into servlets, and then drop them into the servlets directory and accomplish the same thing.

Although you guys don’t support JSP, that’s not really a big deal for me as I’ve got my own template language that I intend to use that works with servlet engines themselves. No biggie. Perhaps I may even have something that you guys will be interested in. Many people love writing code in Java (Lord knows I do). JSP just gives a clean way to do template frameworks in a standard Java environment - but most certainly isn’t the only way. Once I get it all set up I’ll post again as others here may be interested in using it.

Sure thing, it sounds fun.

We’re huge perlheads. OO perl (or at least as OO as perl gets). We did our own templating system too.

We would like to use Java, but enjoy the freedom perl gives us to write large-scale applications all on one 80,000-character-long line.

nate.

hehe… I can certainly appreciate that :slight_smile: From a commercial perspective it became necessary for me to focus on Java a while ago. I was actually surprised that a host such as DH didn’t have JSP functionality, but it doesn’t really bother me much - its just as easy for me to precompile all my JSPs into servlets on my machine or deploy webmacro or my own Java based template language.

I always love talking to perl guys though, they have a very different take on development.

I used to really resent perl and how sloppy things get with it, but after doing this a few years (and working with some true perl geniuses here) I’m pretty much converted.

I’d like to work more with python, as it would let me retain most of perl’s sick, twisted abilities that I’ve come to appreciate as sublime but would perhaps enforce a little more rigor…

Ah, who am I kidding, I’d miss dynamically generated anonymous functions with local semi-private
data that doesn’t go out of scope that I can insert into the symbol table at will…

nate.

And with the ability to run twistd, you could run Nevow! http://www.nevow.com. cough background processes on shared plans cough